• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascapes 2003 to present

Re: Six years of 'scaping

personally i think it's an achievement to even come close to an amano style scape.
Absolutely.:)

Nature Aquarium World book one page 52 ;)
Unfortunately I haven't got the book yet... Whats on page 52?

not to detract from georges thread....

JEK said:

it's an image of a creation by amano, in a 90 x 45 x 45. quite stunning.

this is the quote " This water scape uses only water plant, no driftwood or rocks"

it's a shame i cant find the image on-line, but it just goes to show us all what can be done with no hard scape.... :D

saintly said:
not to detract from georges thread....

JEK said:

it's an image of a creation by amano, in a 90 x 45 x 45. quite stunning.

this is the quote " This water scape uses only water plant, no driftwood or rocks"

it's a shame i cant find the image on-line, but it just goes to show us all what can be done with no hard scape.... :D

Okay, but thats Amano... :D

What i meant with using more hardscape probably would give a higher rank in IALPC is that when you look at the top 27 most of them use much hardscape...

But this is OT now, sorry. :oops:

Seeing as we are all sticking the boot in to you, George, I think you need to introduce a little more red. :lol:

The Mother Microsorum (you spelt it wrong, dude...na na na na na) scape is reminiscent of my all time favourite scape by Amano that had Discus. This one or Harlequin Haven for me.

Dave.

JEK said:
Meadow Zephyr and South East Asia are my favorites, but all of them are good excepts the first one. :D

I personally think you use P. helferi a little too much in your 'scapes - It's a beatyful plant, but IMO it doesn't fits in nature aquarias because it does'nt remind me of any terrestial plant. But thats just my personal opinion.:)

P helferii looks a lot like many Asplenium (land ferns), especially the native Hart's Tongue, and a ruffled cultivar (I think) of the tropical Bird's Nest Fern. Sorry for the common names, they should be easy to look up if you're interested.

I've had it in my tank for 4 months now, and I don't think it's going to stay forever - it's growth pattern is just too weird for me - not really a stem or a rosette. I'll give it one more chance (this time I'll cut all the big heads off and let the side shoots take over, instead of pulling it all up and replanting cuttings), and if that doesn't work well I might let it go. I'm not into plants you have to pull up and replant, I like to either hack them down (stems) or just have to take of the odd leaf (rosettes). If you took the old leaves of P helferii you'd eventually be left with a crown on an ugly stump.

However, it is a lovely light green colour, and looks especially good growing around the base of dark wood (in my opinion). Dunno. It's a tough one for me. Always gets picked out by non-aquarists looking at the tank though!

Happy New Year all,

Mark

Great insight to the evolution of one of the pro's.
It was actually 80cm - The shade, in an article in PFK that got me into high tech planted tanks, so cheers for that George :D

Just wondering, why don't you use moss?
Would have thought you might go for that look. Especially since your going for a lower maintenance look with your new discus tank.

I`m using mosses for the first time, and the look kicks Gluteus maximus.

For me, the problems with them are they really do catch the crud, and when you prune them back, there is a real mess in the tank which sinks rather than floats. For a slow growing plant, I would look upon it as a higher maintenance choice.

By the way, will the phallic rock be putting in another appearance?

Dave.

P.S. What is the betting that George has got some even earlier pics of scapes, but won`t show them because they have non aquatics in them? :lol:

:lol:
I reckon George had a soft spot for fountain grass... didn't everyone when starting out with plants?? :D

Beautiful, all have a unique charm which makes it hard to choose a favourite. Having 6 of George's scapes on one page is awesome,especially as they mean a lot to many-anyone else think this one should be made a sticky?
Regards
Will
ps Not a big fan of P.helferi either,just looks too 'spiky' for me imo,probably have bad memories of being 'attacked' by Pyrocanthus as a child :lol: although I do like holly?

Wilis said:
Having 6 of George's scapes on one page is awesome,especially as they mean a lot to many-anyone else think this one should be made a sticky?

Yeah - make it stick! Not only is it truly wonderful to have all these magnificent scapes together, but George gives an object lesson in how to take 'constructive' criticism diplomatically, both in this thread and elsewhere - he shows a humility and subtle wit that underpins the positivity of the whole UKAPS site.

Oh George - we're not worthy!

paul.in.kendal said:
Wilis said:
Having 6 of George's scapes on one page is awesome,especially as they mean a lot to many-anyone else think this one should be made a sticky?

Yeah - make it stick! Not only is it truly wonderful to have all these magnificent scapes together, but George gives an object lesson in how to take 'constructive' criticism diplomatically, both in this thread and elsewhere - he shows a humility and subtle wit that underpins the positivity of the whole UKAPS site.

Oh George - we're not worthy!

I agree!

Was seeing Georges Rio 125, the same tank as I have that inspired me to go all planted. I have been trying to work with what I have but I need a complete strip down and restart to get anywhere near Georges tanks.
Congrats mate :)

Thats some well deserved praise there G, congrats pal, i bet it's nice to actually be told of the influence that you have over the UK planted tank hobby :D

I've see all but the first couple of scapes in the flesh and I'm sure there are a couple missing?

Bashing out scapes of such a high standard, time and time again is a true achievement mate, you should be real proud of how far you've come in only 6 years.

I can think of at least one that's missing... The 120cm with two opposing large ferns and then wod pointing into the centre. I don't think it had a name.

Yeah George, I'm certain that isn't all of them? Would it be worth asking Jeremy if you could feature his Iwagumi and maybe some of the other tanks I was certain you'd done?

Back