• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascaping Contest Scandal

What is Nature Aquarium?
ADA define it as - Nature Aquarium recreates an ecosystem that is found in nature by growing aquatic plants... Simply that, no smoke or mirrors.

Do you spot any logical fallacies in this definition. I'd be so bold as to venture that - no you do not. But apparently logical fallacies are perfectly acceptable as far as the IAPLC are concerned. Go figure 🤪
As you’ve found above (the case of ‘Recreation of natural habitat for fish’) actions speak
louder than words 😜

I‘ve never been sure of what a ‘Nature Aquarium‘ is, but I’ve always viewed its ‘recreation of a natural ecosystem‘, as abstract. I challenge you to find an aquatic ecosystem that Nature Aquaria parallel. The majority of plants we use are not commonly found submerged or in good health, let alone sharing the same geography and we pump our tanks full of CO2 and fertilisers. When I see ADA going on field trips, they don’t focus on underwater environments; They observe and absorb the feelings, patterns and compositions of nature. This sense of nature, rather than a literal representation, is what is portrayed in their work. At least that’s what I think.

Honestly I'm happy the judges show little regard to the point allocation criteria. What better way to judge the world top aquascaping competition than having a group of experts use their judgement to choose which ones are the best?
I too am glad they show little regard for the criteria. I mostly have no problem with the ranking and don’t think the competition would be in a better place if they followed the current criteria. The competition is about what can be done within the confines of a glass box and to repeat the quote of Amano brought up by Steven ‘All these layouts are just copies of my work. Can’t the world show me anything new’; This, in my and also Amano’s opinion, is the spirit of the contest.

I‘ve never been sure of what a ‘Nature Aquarium‘ is, but I’ve always viewed its ‘recreation of a natural ecosystem‘, as abstract. I challenge you to find an aquatic ecosystem that Nature Aquaria parallel.
I’ve always found the term nature aquarium a bit misleading. Don’t get me wrong most planted aquariums are an excellent home for fish (bar iwagumis) however they’re not a true representation of an underwater habitat at all. The closest I’ve seen recently is @Steven Chong Amano Gawa scape. It looks exactly like you’re looking at a stream and is a perfect aquarium for the barilius which were chosen to stock it. Personally I think that should have Been the winner and would prefer to see more scapes go along that route.

cheers

Conor

Last edited:
There can still be fallen logs, trees with complex root structures or rock formations underwater and so I think I enjoy these hybrid diorama/NA style scapes more as maybe my mind is more believing of them. However, if we all had the same favourites, ideals and artistic expression life would be boring and the hobby/competition stagnant. Yours and your peers work will still serve as an inspiration to me.
This is the direction I think the hobby and philosophy is going. Layouts by Siak and Josh of Little Green Corner in the past couple of years appear to me to have paired the sense of nature and feeling of being underwater from the ‘Nature Aquarium‘ style with a revised composition from ‘Diorama’ style a combination of the respective styles best features.

Honestly I'm happy the judges show little regard to the point allocation criteria. What better way to judge the world top aquascaping competition than having a group of experts use their judgement to choose which ones are the best?

Seems like ADA wanted to have some sort of structure to the scoring but in my opinion the criteria are useless.

After all how good a scape is is completely subjective or is it not?
Just like a painting, either you like it or you do not. Either it touches you somewhere or leaves you indifferent. Or somewhere inbetween. But it is definitely something personal and up to each ones judgement.
In my opinion that's what the world's top aquascaping competition should be about.

I think the above post is worth repeating.

To me it is about art. Agree or disagree with the philosophy of the competition, marking etc, It is all about art.

I’m blown away by some of the entries, would I like them in my living room, some maybe not, others yes. Either way I’m wowed by the top scapes. They inspire me. I often have the discussion, ‘it’s a diorama again’, it doesn’t matter, I love the competition. I take ideas from just a little piece of a scape and store them.

In short, for me there is not a right or wrong in the discussion. That is art - it evokes passion whatever side of the fence you sit.

Last edited:
I challenge you to find an aquatic ecosystem that Nature Aquaria parallel.
That's not the point I was trying to make...
Perhaps the IAPLC should just be honest and totally scrap the idea that the winning scapes have anything to do with the “Recreation of a natural habitat for fish”?
And why challenge me to find an aquatic ecosystem that Nature Aquaria parallel anyway? Why not go straight to the source, ADA and the IAPLC, and challenge them instead?
Don't shoot the messenger...

But you won't get much change there for the very simple reason...
To misquote a friend slightly, 'Takashi Amano's Nature Aquarium values are not a movable feast in the service of innovating works'. Something the IAPLC has conveniently lost sight of... If the IAPLC no longer respects those values it losses its entire reason for being.

I just thought calling bullsh#t on the whole IAPLC hypocrisy was long overdue...
the top aquascapers that consistently get results, see success because they definitely have a sense...of...the two categories in question, “Recreation of a natural habitat for fish” and the “Presentation of natural atmosphere in layout works...certainly the two to be valued most highly, and thought about most deeply.
Is that with or without logical fallacies? ...sorry, I'm starting to get a bit confused...

Either way, I'm glad it's sparked a more honest discussion...

That's not the point I was trying to make...

And why challenge me to find an aquatic ecosystem that Nature Aquaria parallel anyway? Why not go straight to the source, ADA and the IAPLC, and challenge them instead?
Don't shoot the messenger...
I assumed you agreed with what you quoted.
I just thought calling bullsh#t on the whole IAPLC hypocrisy was long overdue. If your bubble has burst don't blame me...

My bubbles not burst, but I’m enjoying the discussion. I don‘t look to the IAPLC for a beacon of Nature Aquariums, but to ADA and works by Amano’s past works.

'Takashi Amano's Nature Aquarium values are not a movable feast in the service of innovating works'

This boils it down for me really. A whole lot of people have embraced aquascaping because NA values really resonated with them, not because it was the latest trend. Values are values, ideally they remain robust under challenging circumstances.

I don‘t look to the IAPLC for a beacon of Nature Aquariums, but to ADA and works by Amano’s past works.

Aye, Amano’s works are timeless. Find their impact gets more impressive as time goes by rather than less. By feeling that way you know it left an impression, it didn’t need explaining to you, it simply was impressive.

I think that @cbaum86 and @glasscanvasart raise a very interesting point, and @Steven Chong's answer reveals much about the IAPLC mindset which will undoubtedly prove helpful for those thinking about entering the IAPLC. But the Emperor is still immodestly dressed...

You are right Steve, the IAPLC doesn't care what constitutes the “Recreation of a natural habitat for fish”, quite clearly...

Is it a logical fallacy? I disagree with you there Steve. It's only a logical fallacy if you're still labouring under the delusion that diorama is a “Recreation of a natural habitat for fish”. Once you disabuse yourself of that psychosis it's just logic...

That just sounds deeply schizophrenic 🤪

I rest my case...🙄

So I was right all along then... The art is more important than the original Nature Aquarium concept and its fundamental ethos of the “Recreation of a natural habitat for fish”. The two are mutually exclusive. So why pretend otherwise, could it have anything to do with my closing sentence?

Yeah sure, whilst some of my sanity is still intact.

Seriously though this is beyond absurd and I know I'm not in a minority of folk who feel this way; tho' politeness and pluralistic ignorance might suggest otherwise. It's kind of ironic, but Albert's actions may have done aquascaping a great service by tipping an already precariously absurd organisation over the edge of reason and in to the abyss of the imbecilic.

To misquote a friend slightly, 'Takashi Amano's Nature Aquarium values are not a movable feast in the service of innovating works'. Something the IAPLC has conveniently lost sight of... If the IAPLC no longer respects those values it losses its entire reason for being.

Not at all. This comes back to whether the aim is to perfectly re-create nature, or to present/capture the beauty of nature in art.

I believe Nature Aquarium has always been about the later, despite ADA's phrasing (which I also critiqued). I agree they shouldn't use the phrase "re-creation", and there is nothing in Amano's ethos that requires the phrase "re-creation" in a very literal sense.

If you want perfect representation/re-creation, I recommend BAD. The biotope contest scene is getting more and more awesome-- I follow it very closely and really enjoy the works each year.
For the later, IAPLC is an awesome contest and love where it is going personally. There is room for exploration, creativity, innovation in the later that hits on truths of nature that the former cannot capture without going and experiencing the real deal in person.

Last edited:
Is that with or without logical fallacies? ...sorry, I'm starting to get a bit confused...

You can tap on a truth of nature's beauty without being literal.

You can get into a fish's mindset, you can consider poetically, what is beautiful about the different faces of nature-- whether that is seeing from under a overhang from a fish's perspective, or the dignity of trees reflected on a water's surface, the expansiveness of a canyon or the fear/mystery surrounding a cave.

There is a lot of emotional truth, poetic truth, experience of nature that we can capture in art-- and art doesn't require us to iron out every logical inconsistency or to perfectly recreate only the literal in order to capture those emotions, experiences, truths. Metaphorical truth, as opposed to scientific truth.

To me, the real core of Nature Aquarium is learning these kinds of lessons from nature. Appreciate small creatures by imagining the world through their eyes. Appreciating things like stillness of trees, flow through leaves, wideness of space, energy of fish. Amano's Nature Aquarium was never literal, always using the aquarium to capture a part of these profound metaphoric truths-- and make an emotional connection. The things we can learn from nature are not only things measured in numbers.
Though make no mistake, reading detailed reports of the ecology of natural water ways can be VERY useful when imagining and searching-- but it's not the end information you're looking for. How can that scientific understanding be used to INFORM the aquascaper's ART? Does it stir your EMPATHY? Does it make you FEEL something? What IS it in a given scene in nature, that STRIKES YOUR SOUL?

At the end of the day, when the final works are put together and assessed, this is not an ecology study report. It's art inspired by nature.

In my mind there are no contradictions on this point, because it's not literal re-production that I am trying to capture or present or learn from Nature. I ask of Nature to teach me something deeper about its beauty, and it's those things I am trying to capture.

Sometimes, as in my 2019 layout-- faithful recreation is the best way, and there are such truths only capturable by making the greatest attempt to abide by the forms as they are. Sometimes constraints ask us to stab at it in a different way, and constraints can also be the mother of innovation. Sometimes, aiming for re-creating the emotional experience, the metaphorical truth requires us to do something completely different. This is the way I think about my 2020 work. Personally, as an aquascaper, I am motivated to stretch my breadth of appreciation and skillset as broadly as possible.

I apologize if this explanation doesn't help--

Since it's not perfectly logical, and much of my own understanding of the art is also not grounded in the logic layer. It’s not so easy to put it in words. But our human minds have many layers of understanding besides logic. I think this flexibility, willingness to try and comprehend in different ways-- logically, metaphorically, spiritually-- the ability to use the different parts of your minds, different forms of sensitivity, flexibility in the different means of understanding is connected to one's ability to grow as an aquascaper/artist.

Last edited:
Steven, I know exactly what you're saying, and I couldn't disagree with you less. I'm not sure whether we're arguing at crossed purposes or whether I'm being deliberately misunderstood. But my point of view is quite simple really.

Regardless of what you keep repeating to try and convince me otherwise there is still a contradiction in terms at the heart of this discussion caused by the wording of the judging criteria that has become so controversial, "Recreation of a natural habitat for fish". And that can not be explained away by logical fallacies or any other contrived philosophical mechanism no matter what your opinion is.

And that criteria awards half the marks. The remaining 50% are distributed evenly between 5 other categories so clearly the "recreation of a natural habitat for fish" is significant and central to the IAPLC's philosophy and values.

To follow your logic and the thread of your repeated argument don't you think the IAPLC should have awarded those 50 marks to a different category?

"Presentation of natural atmosphere in layout work", springs to mind. Surely that represents far more adequately what you describe above and in your previous posts than the "recreation of a natural habitat for fish"?

It may seem like I'm arguing the toss on a point of pedantry but I don't think I am. Neither is this an argument over semantics. Words used in the English language have precise meaning for a reason. They are not open to wild interpretation by you, me or the IAPLC, otherwise no one would have the faintest idea what anyone else was talking about.

So I'm still left scratching my head wondering why you and the IAPLC insist on trying to convince me that night is day and black is white. And why you keep hanging on to this essentially delusional idea that a phrase with a precise meaning "recreation of a natural habitat for fish", can be legitimately interpreted as a small scale version of a large terrestrial habitat in a glass box flooded with water?

Exactly why is that phrase "recreation of a natural habitat for fish" so important to you and the IAPLC? Especially, when the IAPLC already has a far better category for describing exactly what you are both trying to achieve, "Presentation of natural atmosphere in layout work".

It's a simple question and I'd really be interested in your point of view on that precise topic.

Steven, I know exactly what you're saying, and I couldn't disagree with you less. I'm not sure whether we're arguing at crossed purposes or whether I'm being deliberately misunderstood. But my point of view is quite simple really.

Regardless of what you keep repeating to try and convince me otherwise there is still a contradiction in terms at the heart of this discussion caused by the wording of the judging criteria that has become so controversial, "Recreation of a natural habitat for fish". And that can not be explained away by logical fallacies or any other contrived philosophical mechanism no matter what your opinion is.

And that criteria awards half the marks. The remaining 50% are distributed evenly between 5 other categories so clearly the "recreation of a natural habitat for fish" is significant and central to the IAPLC's philosophy and values.

To follow your logic and the thread of your repeated argument don't you think the IAPLC should have awarded those 50 marks to a different category?

"Presentation of natural atmosphere in layout work", springs to mind. Surely that represents far more adequately what you describe above and in your previous posts than a "recreation of a natural habitat for fish"?

It may seem like I'm arguing the toss on a point of pedantry but I don't think I am. Words used in the English language have precise meaning for a reason. They are not open to wild interpretation by you, me or the IAPLC, otherwise no one would have the faintest idea what anyone else was talking about.

So I'm still scratching my head wondering why you and the IAPLC insist on trying to convince me that night is day and black is white. And why you keep hanging on to this essentially delusional idea that a phrase with a precise meaning "recreation of a natural habitat for fish", can be legitimately interpreted as a small scale version of a large terrestrial habitat in a glass box flooded with water?

Exactly why is that phrase "recreation of a natural habitat for fish" so important to you and the IAPLC? Especially, when the IAPLC already has a far better category for describing exactly what you are both trying to achieve, "Presentation of natural atmosphere in layout work".

It's a simple question and I'd really be interested in your point of view on that precise topic.
If you’re really making the above argument, it means—

“I’m fine with the IAPLC’s direction, it’s works, it’s evolution. The layouts are fantastic each year, but I don’t like the naming of this one category and the rubric is hard to understand.”

If that’s really your argument (not my impression based on the thread, but okay) we’ll take that as the starting point. We’re putting a pin here and cementing this as the starting point, the basis for argument.

Frankly I don’t think it’s a very important point if the rubric is giving the kind of results we want to see.

I think the layout of the rubric has less to do with some truth of Amano’s ethos and more to do with historic trends (the re-weighting was around the time of his death— maybe even after it, but it feels fuzzy in my memory whether it was in effect 2015 or 2016).

If we go back through the history of the IAPLC, originally all categories were equally weighted. But that’s also the conditions where we really reached the zenith of diorama style (2014-2016) where there was a real dominance by the most dramatic diorama style tanks. China/Indonesia style forests and cliff/mountain style layouts totally choked out the top ranks, and there were barely any plants used except moss/HC, with very little recognition of the artwork as art in an aquarium. That feels like an extreme even to me.

That said though, 2016 was also the contest’s peak year in artistic excellence imo, and the top 7 is quite diverse with traditional NA style, Brazilian, diorama all represented, along with Tanaka-san’s first mirror layout that was innovative but also a hybrid between NA and diorama. And, the king seat belonging to Fukada-san’s Mighty Cave, probably an early exemplar of what an aquarium diorama layout should be, and I would argue the single best and most creative use of fish in the contest’s entire history— making it a noteworthy work for this “recreation of natural fish habitat” category.

The diorama over-crowding Choke hold was mostly an issue in ranks 8-40, rather than the top 7 or top 100 overall (at the time, judged scapes were the top 100 not 127).

The dominance of the diorama style in the honor ranks drew critique and alarm, and demands to re-balance so that NA style would see more representation and diorama style would also consider its identity as aquarium art.

The re-creation of Natural Habitat category was changed from 10 pts to 50.

And the contest evolved as a result.

Even before the adjustment, I think works like Fukada-san’s, impact diorama with an NA-style sensitivity was going to be dominant regardless, but the shift in rubric really paved the way for NA style to come back much more and even win in 2018. I mean Josh Sim did just also take rank 3 with it in 2020.

It also forced the diorama style to evolve to how you see it now, with Indonesian and Chinese scapes showing a LOT more volume, variety, and focus on plants than they did before. (Compare Herry Resio’s layout this year to rank 8-10 from 2016 and you’ll see what I mean)

Unfortunately, I would say, the average level of technical skill in top ranking diorama works took a hit and never recovered (the absolute top diorama scapes is still high, but the average level of the diorama works in top 127 ranks is inferior to 2016 and possibly 2015).

Though this decline may be more of a fault line in international politics than having to do with ADA’s rubric (Japan relations worsening with China and Korea resulted in fewer entries from veterans of both countries). Industry relations also worsened across country lines. These things coincidentally have overlapping time period.

Finally, the change in rubric secured that the absolute top diorama layouters would be greatly determined by this aquatic-oriented sensitivity. It paved the way for the hybrid styles Fukada, Josh, Siak and I (and others) are exploring with our works in recent years. Essentially the change in rubric is felt most heavily on these points:

1) More representation of NA style overall in the top 127
2) Pure diorama that doesn’t put emphasis on plant or fish use becoming very inconsistent in performance, often skilled layouters finding themselves in the 2-400’s as I mentioned earlier.
3) The absolute top layouters, especially in the progressive arch being the ones who have a sensitivity for NA style, for an aquatic sense or special care for fish. Hybrid styles taking the throne.

ie. these 50 points have the biggest impact in separating the men from the boys, from separating the top 1% from the top 3-7 people in the world.

This may be why top competitors are probably the most sensitive to how these points shape the results, and how they must be considered.

Now, going back to the original point that we’re happy with what the contest has become and the direction it’s going and annoyance with the wording of the rubric—

If the rubric is doing it’s job, I say leave it be. Scaper’s needing to struggle with its meaning has also driven creativity and forced layouts to evolve in a good direction.

The rubric may be literally false, in that the English words don’t mean what they should mean—

But that doesn’t stop it from being metaphorically true; in the adaptive sense that it is driving the contest results to evolve in a positive direction aligned with what Nature Aquarium should be. The words are a stab at getting the meaning they want, and creating an ecology in the contest driving its evolution in a desirable direction.

It’s also adaptively true for ADA, in that the words let it virtue signal and brand position itself well, while commanding an effective fandom from conservative and progressive aquascapers alike.

So imo, there’s no reason to get wound up over just wording.

Last edited:
If you’re really making the above argument, it means—

“I’m fine with the IAPLC’s direction, it’s works, it’s evolution. The layouts are fantastic each year, but I don’t like the naming of this one category and the rubric is hard to understand.”
Well mostly I was referring to the artistic process and appreciation of nature. But anything is going to be better than the diorama choke hold of a few years back.

After revisiting the top 127, 2020 winning entries I concede more scapes appear to be hybrids in that they include many more elements of Nature Aquarium, and I hope that trend continues to be explored in an innovative way and doesn’t revert back to diorama.

If that’s really your argument (not my impression based on the thread, but okay) we’ll take that as the starting point. We’re putting a pin here and cementing this as the starting point, the basis for argument.
Got there eventually, I like to take the scenic route ;)

I think the layout of the rubric has less to do with some truth of Amano’s ethos and more to do with historic trends (the re-weighting was around the time of his death— maybe even after it, but it feels fuzzy in my memory whether it was in effect 2015 or 2016).
I think this is where some of the contention lies for some folk. I get that the IAPLC needs innovation to keep it current and relevant. But it perhaps appears that Amano’s ethos isn’t quite so intrinsically important to the IAPLC as it once was.

Perhaps taking the “Recreation of a natural habitat for fish” a little more literally, rather than metaphorically, would be beneficial in that sense and help steer the IAPLC in the right direction; away form diorama.

It would be nice to think the change in direction occurred on the back of a change in the rubric, and not just politics. But it could also be that diorama is getting old, tired and uninteresting. The forest theme is threadbare it’s been worn so much. Nevertheless, I can definitely see where you are coming from in that respect.

It’s also adaptively true for ADA, in that the words let it virtue signal and brand position itself well, while commanding an effective fandom from conservative and progressive aquascapers alike.
That’s a very honest statement, and I think that’s what I’ve been driving at all along. Maybe I should have just asked up front but I wasn’t expecting you to be so candid.

My take away from that statement is that the change in rubric, awarding 50% of the marks to the “Recreation of a natural habitat for fish”, was also more of a commercial decision and much less about promoting Amano’s original ethos than folk perhaps like to believe, or were perhaps led to believe. And I think this is where much of the contention lies for obvious reasons. Not least because it perhaps doesn't show Amano’s ethos, nor the folk who appreciate it, the appropriate level of respect.

But it perhaps appears that Amano’s ethos isn’t quite so intrinsically important to the IAPLC as it once was.

Perhaps taking the “Recreation of a natural habitat for fish” a little more literally, rather than metaphorically, would be beneficial in that sense and help steer the IAPLC in the right direction; away form diorama.

And this is also something where there is contention with traditionalists, who do often make the easy and inaccurate assumption that abiding by Amano’s methods makes one more aligned with his ethos— which isn’t true, or at least isn’t the whole truth.

The Amano I first met was extremely irritated that the 2009 contest results all looked like his past works “inferior copies of things I’ve already done.” He said bluntly to us.

The Amano-San I’ve heard re-counted from TAU members also loved the innovative scapers. Amano-San himself hand picked diorama layouts as his personal “Best of Show,” when that award existed.

Nature Aquarium itself was a trail-blazing style that threw out the stuffy rules and traditions of Dutch style that existed before— and hearing from long veterans here, Dutch was very imbedded in aquarists minds/expectations here in Japan until Amano and others turned the table over.

In that sense, the progressive arc is every bit an inheritor of Amano’s ethos as the traditionalists, even if both “schools” of thought inherit different parts of that ethos.

Though as you say, diorama itself— especially styles like “forest”— are also developing enough to themselves become traditional in a sense. But that’s the nature of these things. “NA style,” “Iwagumi,” “Brazilian,” “Diorama” “Hybrid,” new clades from a common ancestor, inheriting different adaptations and evolving independently but also in response to each other and inter-mixing.

Memes like Nature Aquarium will always continue and evolve as long as the carriers exist—the nature of progress.

Reading all this at 2:00 AM and the only thing that comes to mind is: " Welcome to the beautiful world of aquascaping" 🤣

Got the same kinda thought. Happy that I have the option to create something nice at home and share with the family and some like minded people on this forum and learn from the process..

I think we could all do better here. We should start thinking about next years hardscape challenge or maybe we should throw caution to the wind and have a full blown contest with plants an' all ?

That would be nice just a contest with real photos maybe from multiple sides that the tank can be judged like a real aquarium not just a competition tank?

Back