• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascaping in an AIO tank

James Burcham

I'm looking for advice, tips, or possible pitfalls I may encounter while maintaining an aquascape in a waterbox AIO 50.3 gal tank. Has anyone done something similar?

Ed Wiser thank you. That's the one.

My main concern is the AIO filter chambers. I plan on using purigen bags, seachem matrix, filter socks, and polishing filter pads.

I just don't see anyone using this form of filtration. Seems like mostly external filters.

Edvet

The pump will cycle 9 times per hour or so. What if any media do you suggest. I wasn't going to pack the chambers full but I figured some bio and mech filter media is necessary. I have never seen a tank without. Am I missing something?

Green Aqua (ADA methodology) maintain that proper mechanical and especially biological filtration is important in attaining that algae free (is no visible algae) planted aquarium
(Of course if you look at their style of tanks, they are all high light, CO2, moderate turnover, low water column nutrient dosing)

And the development of bacteria complex is also important

As you may guess I run my tanks similar methodology, though moderate light etc ...
;)

Filters - I have Eheim and various substrate included so that’s what’s in my filters

I’m less inclined to the filter socks as they can impede flow quickly depending on your source water (I’m far too lazy to clean anything daily or weekly on my tanks :oops: I rinse my filters every 3-6months)

There will be plenty bacteria on the plants and especialy on and around the roots and substrate. There is little need for complex filtermedia. Just don''t spend big money there. ( there have even been recomendations just to use some cheap plastic pot scrubbers) Just make sure there is (and stays) plenty flow through the filter, this is more important then having all kinds of bacteria holding ""special'' media.
If you use polishing stuff make sure you clean regularly

Back