• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascaping newie.

Diavel

For xmas I received "G.Farmers Aqua scaping " book, I have not kept fish for over 40 yrs and then they had plastic plants to play with !
I have gone totally against all advice and gone in to a certain extent " at the deep end " (redundancy money and early retirement allowed this ).
Still A/W delivery of tank ( DD Aqua scape pro 1500 x600x550mm) , have bought (three kessill tuna sun 360 x ) , co2 infusion and all accessories and just starting to buy hardscape ,substrate etc , probably going for heavily planted jungle look.
My question is , I was told that filtration wise the Oase Biomaster 600 (have separate inline heater) would suffice but at 1250 ltr/hr its going to short of the 4 x rule I have read about as my tank has a capacity of appx 450 ltrs. As I am only going to keep a shoal of neons ,some shrimp and snails will I get away with this new filter or am i heading for trouble.
Cheers

The general rule for a planted tank is 10x flow. I have 2 x 850 Biomaster on my 700l tank and added gyres because the flow was not enough!

Now you might get away with a little less than 10x, I’m sure many folks do, but for planted, a single 600 is not going to get you where you need to be I’m afraid.

Welcome to UKaps.

Would love to see journal, with pics, as you setup. I put my thoughts in mine as questions, If I am wrong then the good folks on here will steer me in the right direction.

I agree with KirstyF. The flow also depends on how high the filter has to pump from and size of pipe. The data that the manufacturers state for flow is measured with no media and no head height. That is one of the reasons that the rule is 10X. Once you take into account all the losses in the system you will be lucky to get half of stated filter flow.

Hi and welcome to the forum. As above, aim for 10x rule. The importance of circulation is heavily underestimated, getting co2 and ferts all around the tank, especially down to substrate level will often determine your success. Go big or go low energy.

Starting a journal is a great way to gain feedback, equally as long as you update frequently, using it as a log is a very useful learning tool 👍

Last edited:
Welcome to UKaps.

Would love to see journal, with pics, as you setup. I put my thoughts in mine as questions, If I am wrong then the good folks on here will steer me in the right direction.

I agree with KirstyF. The flow also depends on how high the filter has to pump from and size of pipe. The data that the manufacturers state for flow is measured with no media and no head height. That is one of the reasons that the rule is 10X. Once you take into account all the losses in the system you will be lucky to get half of stated filter flow.
Hi Grumpy one ,
The pipes are 16mm, head distance will i guess be appx 3' . I have removed the pre filter pipe and drilled more holes , changed the circular fine mesh filters for coarser ones and will be changing the other plastic filters, so i hope i have increased the flow but it looks like Iam looking at another filter.

Hi and welcome to the forum. As above, aim for 10x rule. The importance of circulation is heavily underestimated, getting co2 and ferts all around the tank, especially down to substrate level will often determine your success. Go big or go low energy.

Starting a journal is a great way to gain feedback, equally as long as you update frequently, using it as a log is a very useful learning tool 👍
Cheers,
Looks like another filter required ! If i got another Oase 600 and joined systems would it be ok to have the delivery and returns out of single pipes or have i got to double up on lilly pipes etc ,and what if i added a powerhead ?

Welcome to UKaps.

Will do.

Back