Aquasoil Says 1 bag per 60 litres?

Discussion in 'Substrates' started by Jamess, 9 Feb 2009.

1. Jamess

Jamess Member

Hey i have jus got my 2 9l bags of aquasoil and read on the back it says its one 9l bag per 60 litres, i have a 180 litre tank and by using the normal method of working out how much i would need it came up that i would need just over 18? Do i need another 9 litre bag?

2. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

now some may not like me for saying this, but you could do what i do. use something like JBL aquabasis plus from AE bulk out with that or something similar. it contains goodies and stuff.

and then use ADA AS as a topping. it works a treat, trust me

. dont bulk out on AS as it could get pricey.

3. Ray

Ray Member

I used 2*9l Aquasoil + 4kg sand and 1.5l JBL Aquabasis on my 200l, so you probably have just enough, especially if you use Powersand to pad it out (which I wish I had), or Aquabasis or Tropica substrate.

There is no mystery - work out the average depth of substrate you want (say 4cm at front, 8 at back = 6cm average) and multiply by tank width and depth to get volume of substrate in litres needed.

4. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Does the Powersand go above the Aquasoil or under????

5. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

6. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

yep under, big debates over the stuff too. from what im experiencing without it i still get good growth.

Tom barr proved that i think

7. Ray

Ray Member

Clive maintains it is snake oil, but it does have bacterial goodies in it and I am seeing a huge benefit having a mature substrate and filter. No surface film, no algae on the sand, crystal clear water. If I started again I would fishless cycle the Aquasoil for 3 weeks in the dark, use the powersand and dose full EI from the start. I think it would have gone much much better.

Of course if you have a mature filter full of mulm you can chuck in your substrate, that may not be necessary. I didn't.

8. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

does that mean he likes it? :oops:

9. Jamess

Jamess Member

Wow never had such fast replies on here! excellent info guys thankyou. Saintly, after seeing the results with your tanks i think i may bulk out with the aquabasis as i have a few more goodies i need to order from AE anyway! have you seen the JBL stuff rise to the surface atall or has it stayed put under the Aquasoil? Right now i have tetra plant complete topped with playsand and i have found that the Tetra stuff has gone anerobic in many areas, the same has happend in another smaller tank of mine!

10. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

i've PM'D you

hang fire! i've just checked out the price ratio. 2.5l cost just over £10. so for the equivalent of 9 L of AS you need 4 bags of JBL= £40 :? it's a no win. BUT, if you were thinking of using power sand,possibly substitute that with JBL aquabasis.

11. gratts

gratts Member

Thats because AE is unjustifiably expensive.

Less than half that price here: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/aquatic_plants_care/ground_materials/14366.

12. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

i wasn't actually querying AE'S prices.it was just a comparison. a lot of places are similar prices to AE so you cant really fire your bullets just yet.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4672

13. gratts

gratts Member

And I wasn't really firing bullets, just pointing out it was cheaper elsewhere!

As for their prices, IMO you pay a premium for good customer service and a wide range of products. Most widely available products are cheaper elsewhere, but maybe that comes at the price of convenience, speed of delivery etc.