• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquasoil Says 1 bag per 60 litres?

Jamess

Hey i have jus got my 2 9l bags of aquasoil and read on the back it says its one 9l bag per 60 litres, i have a 180 litre tank and by using the normal method of working out how much i would need it came up that i would need just over 18? Do i need another 9 litre bag?

now some may not like me for saying this, but you could do what i do. use something like JBL aquabasis plus from AE bulk out with that or something similar. it contains goodies and stuff.

and then use ADA AS as a topping. it works a treat, trust me

. dont bulk out on AS as it could get pricey.

I used 2*9l Aquasoil + 4kg sand and 1.5l JBL Aquabasis on my 200l, so you probably have just enough, especially if you use Powersand to pad it out (which I wish I had), or Aquabasis or Tropica substrate.

There is no mystery - work out the average depth of substrate you want (say 4cm at front, 8 at back = 6cm average) and multiply by tank width and depth to get volume of substrate in litres needed.

LondonDragon said:
Does the Powersand go above the Aquasoil or under????

yep under, big debates over the stuff too. from what im experiencing without it i still get good growth.

Tom barr proved that i think

saintly said:
LondonDragon said:
Does the Powersand go above the Aquasoil or under????

yep under, big debates over the stuff too. from what im experiencing without it i still get good growth.

Tom barr proved that i think
Clive maintains it is snake oil, but it does have bacterial goodies in it and I am seeing a huge benefit having a mature substrate and filter. No surface film, no algae on the sand, crystal clear water. If I started again I would fishless cycle the Aquasoil for 3 weeks in the dark, use the powersand and dose full EI from the start. I think it would have gone much much better.

Of course if you have a mature filter full of mulm you can chuck in your substrate, that may not be necessary. I didn't.

Wow never had such fast replies on here! excellent info guys thankyou. Saintly, after seeing the results with your tanks i think i may bulk out with the aquabasis as i have a few more goodies i need to order from AE anyway! have you seen the JBL stuff rise to the surface atall or has it stayed put under the Aquasoil? Right now i have tetra plant complete topped with playsand and i have found that the Tetra stuff has gone anerobic in many areas, the same has happend in another smaller tank of mine!

Jamess said:
Wow never had such fast replies on here! excellent info guys thankyou. Saintly, after seeing the results with your tanks i think i may bulk out with the aquabasis as i have a few more goodies i need to order from AE anyway!

i've PM'D you

hang fire! i've just checked out the price ratio. 2.5l cost just over £10. so for the equivalent of 9 L of AS you need 4 bags of JBL= £40 :? it's a no win. BUT, if you were thinking of using power sand,possibly substitute that with JBL aquabasis.

And I wasn't really firing bullets, just pointing out it was cheaper elsewhere!

As for their prices, IMO you pay a premium for good customer service and a wide range of products. Most widely available products are cheaper elsewhere, but maybe that comes at the price of convenience, speed of delivery etc.

Back