• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquatic Moss Hunt in outback Australia (photo heavy)

FishBeast

Hi guys, we received 2 days of good rainfall here which means that FishBeast is on the aquatic moss hunt! This time I wanted to share with you a few pix and 2 youtube videos of my adventure.

The first picture is of some rapids here with some Fissidens and Willow moss here and there.
100_5496.jpg

A fairly close shot of some Willow and Fissidens. Bare in mind that in their emersed form they stay low to the ground.
100_5502.jpg

A nice little distance shot of more Willow moss... This stuff loves water!
100_5508.jpg

A close up of some Fissidens
100_5516.jpg

Here is another close shot of fissidens although look up to the top of the moss and check out this new moss I am experimenting with... It retains a light green colour submersed and does actually continue to grow under water. :thumbup:
100_5520.jpg

100_5521.jpg

Some of the local wildlife. A water dragon. I saw one of these nearly 2 feet long the other day. Massive.
100_5531.jpg

A clear closeup of some more Fissidens.
100_5529.jpg

Here are some pics of some moss which I have had in the tank for a while so you can see how it has gone.
100_5533-1.jpg

100_5534-1.jpg

If you guys are interested I will link my youtube videos of this adventure.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TacticalSku ... Av4MvPftVY

http://www.youtube.com/user/TacticalSku ... AC26MMrVm8

Dont you have to be careful over there when digging around bushes like that? Snakes?

Its great to have some ukaps members the other side of the globe.

Thanks for sharing, and the moss in your tank looks great, well done!

Moss :wideyed: Great post! I miss having a wander around in the wilderness. I agree with Graeme, though. Don't you have dangerous little, big, and everything in between creatures to worry about? I'd hate to find a death adder in my fissidens :p

Nice to see some plant's in the wild. I went to Fraser Island, not many aquatic plants but did see some glosso like plants and mosses growing in crystal clear waters. You're mosses look beautiful - T

Thanks guys.
samc said:
looks great around there :D the moss on the last pic lookslike zipper moss. i love the look of that moss. we dont get it here. i should'nt imagine it would ship well ether. a whole carpet of the stuff would be amazing!

It does look alot like some of the zipper moss pictures. Its definately a FIssidens of some sort then.

Graeme Edwards said:
Dont you have to be careful over there when digging around bushes like that? Snakes?

LOL yes, I had a brown snake in my shed last week. They are one of the deadliest land snakes in the world. Sometimes its only a matter of minutes until lights out. I grew up around the bush though and you learn to discern the sounds in the grass around you. A snake will make a distinct sound when it moves through the grass as opposed to a lizard like the bearded dragon in the picture. In general they will move before you get too close because they can sense the vibrations in the ground as you approach. Having said that though, they do take you by suprise sometimes, especially the big ones 6 feet or more.

Hi all,
Interesting post, the Rainbow fish link is very good, I bet that there are all sorts of great mosses out there. I think the trouble is putting a name to them. Here in the UK we have the most intensively studied bryophyte flora in the world, and relatively few species, but it is still difficult to get a definitive I.D. for a lot of specimens.
cheers Darrel

FishBeast said:
I have been doing some research on Fissidens in Australia. We have a great site here for Rainbowfish and there are guys there who go out of expeditions finding flora and fauna. One of the gurus there says there are over 50 recorded species of Fissidens in Australia. Crazy.

http://www.rainbowfish.info/forum/viewt ... =29&t=1834

Fishbeast

Thanks for the great link! Firstly the info on moss is great and have 2 different fissidens at the moment in my tanks so very useful. Secondly all the info on the Stiphodon Gobies! I have 5 and there is so much discussion about them on rainbow fish! Info is hard to come by in the UK. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Wow it's really looking the part in the aquarium. Has anyone tried anything similar with uk mosses that grow close to the river bank? would they be able to stand a few degree rise in water temps?

hi, it must be really cool being able to go outside to look for some plants for your tank :thumbup:, i was wondering; my granddad has some moss like in your 4th 5th and 6th pictures, in his garden. could it be fissidens? i don't know if that grows in England.

thanks

We have fissidens, but it's all endangered or there abouts...

Back