• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquatic Photography Tips

I'm sure I've seen an article of some sort around, but can't find it. If you've got a link then it would be much appreciated.

Basically, I'm just looking to improve my aquatic photography skills. I know the basic tips like use a tripod, switch the room lights off, tank lights on, flash off but what other tips have you found work well? Considering I have a basic digital camera, how can I get the most out of it?

aaronnorth said:
What are you wanting to improve on? Fish, macros, full tank shots?

All of those, but mainly of fish and full tank :)

I had a look at that thread but it isn't really what I'm looking for - it just explains photography terms and stuff.

Thomas McMillan said:
aaronnorth said:
What are you wanting to improve on? Fish, macros, full tank shots?

All of those, but mainly of fish and full tank :)

I had a look at that thread but it isn't really what I'm looking for - it just explains photography terms and stuff.

I have just looked at your camera specs and i think you can manually alter the ISO, have you ever tried different settings?

Also you can use the flash (as it increases shutter speed) but get some paper and put it over the flash to act as a diffuser, fold it to make it thicker if you still get washed out pictures.

There's quite a few pre-set settings like 'flowers', 'sunset' etc but you can use manual. I've never really tampered with the settings that much because I don't really know what to tamper with!

I've heard of the paper-over-flash method, but never tried it. I'll have a go.

Thomas McMillan said:
There's quite a few pre-set settings like 'flowers', 'sunset' etc but you can use manual. I've never really tampered with the settings that much because I don't really know what to tamper with!

I've heard of the paper-over-flash method, but never tried it. I'll have a go.

That sounds like White Balance (WB), a bit more info here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2092&p=22170#p22170

aaronnorth said:
That sounds like White Balance (WB), a bit more info here:

its not WB, its just pre-sets that adjust settings according to the way you want to shoot. so, the little runner symbol?...the camera will make sure you get a quick shutter speed etc. the flower, more often than not means macro.

Back