• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquatic plants in CA

plantbrain

Expert
I have long been driving, hiking, swimming, biking around the rural areas I live. Today it's a nice warm spring day in Northern CA. I look for wood, for rock, for wildflowers, waterfalls, trees, anything of interest, and I also look for aquatic plants.

CA is not really known for aquatic plants, mostly aquatic "weeds", but there are many species here.

This one always throws aquarist for a curve.

resizedBV7.jpg

ResizedBV8.jpg

resizedBV5.jpg

resizedBV6.jpg

resizedBV9.jpg

And what I was originally after:

ResizedBV2.jpg

resizedBV4.jpg

This plant looks like a cross between Rotala macrandra and Ammania gracilius.
Grows in deeper pools , about 2ft deep, flowing water always........has a very pretty red color.

Enjoy,

Regards,
Tom Barr

brilliant. i often go looking in the UK for streams and small rivers, but all i find are loveley greened up shoping trolleys :?

really nice tom, I'm a tad jealous :D

We have the same plant over here...Ive seen it many a time.....I forget the name though....
Im not sure if its endemic, but we do have it here...In fact we have some lovely aquatic plants here, some resembling many of what we might see in our aquariums, but obviously with differnet demands.

i did stumble across a loveley little place called bersham, north wales a few weeks ago when i was working there. now there was a little beauty spot which was full of mosses ferns something the resembled c helferi too. stunning actually

saintly said:
i did stumble across a loveley little place called bersham, north wales a few weeks ago when i was working there. now there was a little beauty spot which was full of mosses ferns something the resembled c helferi too. stunning actually

It's ok if you know where to look i suppose. I have seen some nice places but no places with aquatic plants that i know of. :rolleyes:

Well, new spot today, look at the wood also:

The Aquatics:
ResizedAP3TM.jpg

What Real manzanita driftwood is suppose to look like, not those silly floral arrangement pieces.........

resizedmanzanitaRichard.jpg

Yes, I have several of these trees.

Now for the plants: this was at Table Mt near Oroville, at the peak flower display, I've seen some parts in better shape, but it's still awesome. there are also 6 large water falls, no less than about 30-100+ ft and really cool lava rock all over.

And you can see for 100 miles in most directions.

Rainbow of colors:
resizedTM7.jpg

resizedTM8.jpg

this makes nice wall paper:

ResizedTM6.jpg

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom your so lucky

The photos and the scenery are beautiful.

I'm so jealous

What the reddish plant in the bottom right hand corner of the first photo in your latest post?

Some species of Ludwigia, a new one for this location.

Regards,
Tom barr

Back