• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Arcadia Arc Pod

Ashton

I have a 20 litre Arcadia Arc tank with a 9 watt Arc Pod which I've not used up to now but was thinking of using it when I revamp the tank.

Has anyone used this lamp? It doesn't seem very bright to me but will it be sufficient for plants to grow? I'll only be planting Crypts and a couple of other low light plants.

It will be fine for the 'low light' plants. It doesn't look bright because it has an 'original tropical' 4000K lamp in it. If you were to replace it with a 6500K then it would look much brighter to you but may not necessarily supply more 'usable' light.

Remember brightness is a human perception and in no way indicates how much 'actual' light there is

AC

Hi Ashton,

I've been successfully using one over my 25l cube for quite some time, it's primarily Crypts with some HC, a Red Tiger Lily and a small Amazon sword plant (leftovers from an old aquascape in my main tank). And it all seems to be growing away nicely (apart from the HC, but a clump of it is growing nicely (1ml Excel per day, dosing Ferts 5ml per week after the 50% water change).

I know what you mean about the light, I replaced the bulb with one from MaQ (generic brand) this came with one pinkish side and one white side it's a little pink but I did get used to it. I did eventually go for a whiter bulb by buying a generic non-aquarium bulb with the same fitting from Ryness that fitted this lamp and that's a lot whiter (cost about £6 I think?), the plants all seem to be growing fine still.

Not too fussy in this tank though as I'm trying to breed shrimps in there and they're not too bothered how much light they've got so long as they've got a little algae (I purposefully leave some of the Lily leaves in the tank after they go green at the surface, they seem to love them) and clean water.

If I ever revamp it and decide on going a bit more high-tech on my cube, I may well get a second pod to go on the tank and I think that should be enough to keep more demanding plants going hopefully.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Great, thanks all of you, I really appreciate your replies.

I've been using a use a Superfish 18 watt lamp with the tank, but want to move the whole thing into the kitchen for my Betta who's now living in a 10 litre tank. The problem with the Superfish light is that it's on a very high bracket and will be a bit too close to the kitchen cupboards, I'll try the light as it is for a while and then if I still don't like it, change the bulb for a white light.

Back