• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Are air stones needed for a planted tank for warm temperatures?

CheckeredRust

As following my other thread, I realized that my room temperature water is quite warm(30-32c), after turning the AC on, it manages to drop to 27-28c. But I don't think it's feasible to have it on 24/7.

I read that if the temperature is too warm, there
will be lesser oxygen in the tank. I intend to keep maybe 10-15 cherry shrimps in a 21L planted tank. Will I need an airstone if temperatures gets too warm?

Unless you can get cooler air into your pump and thus your tank via the air stone it’s not going to affect your water temperature or the fact that the higher the water temp the less dissolved O2 it will hold. All it may do is increase water circulation and effective air-water surface area and therefore gas exchange which will only help if this was a limiting factor in your water O2 levels in the first place.

At 30-32 degC tropical weather your best bet is a chiller which requires investment. Your next option is a set of cooling fans + surface agitation which IMO drops temperature to a max 2-3 degC. With cooling fans water rapidly evaporates as well and you need to top up twice a day.

There are some forum posts where hobbyists have used ice floatation to reduce the water temperature but I would not recommend this since Shrimps are more sensitive to sudden changes in water params.

At 30-32 degC tropical weather your best bet is a chiller which requires investment. Your next option is a set of cooling fans + surface agitation which IMO drops temperature to a max 2-3 degC. With cooling fans water rapidly evaporates as well and you need to top up twice a day.

There are some forum posts where hobbyists have used ice floatation to reduce the water temperature but I would not recommend this since Shrimps are more sensitive to sudden changes in water params.
Thanks! Actually how sensitive are cherry shrimps to the temperature if it's gradual? I realize I used my ac overnight, the temp will go down to 23c which I guess is perfect, but when I turn it off in the morning, gradually the temp will go back up, not suddenly though. Will that affect the shrimps?

I can say that gradual increase in temperature or cooling will not lead to discomfort since the change will be gradual.
But water temperature & shrimps is closely linked to rate of metabolism, growth and reproduction. So when the temp is swinging between 23 degC and 32 degC everyday I am not able to tell you how will it impact them long term.

Just a thought have you any good local aquascaping shops near and find out their methods. Besides the above suggestions the cooled bottle water method were iced water pop bottles are floated to reduce the temperature gradually ,aqward though if these temperatures are constant. A look at cooling methods for the whole room in long term

I would start by adding a couple of small fans over the tank. This should knock a few degrees off your temperature and you can put them on a timer to switch off at night so that temperatures don't swing too much. In my experience evaporation isn't a big deal. Just keep a bottle of water near your tank and top up as needed... or just wait for the weekly water change.

Back