• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Are heavily fish stocked tanks no good for plants?

DogTailRed2

My aquarium is fish focused. I've never had much luck keeping plants which I put down to light penetration (it's a deep tank), being able to economically dose and the fish.
My tank has Lucippinnis cats, Clown Loach, Ancistrous, Barbs etc. It's 450 litres.
When I see nice planted tanks they are fish light.

My aquarium is fish focused. I've never had much luck keeping plants which I put down to light penetration (it's a deep tank), being able to economically dose and the fish.
My tank has Lucippinnis cats, Clown Loach, Ancistrous, Barbs etc. It's 450 litres.
When I see nice planted tanks they are fish light.
How deep is your tank?

My experience with Clown Loaches is uprooting plants at feeding time. Think you could do it with Java Ferns,Crypts maybe Amazon Swords what have deep roots . Floating Plants and moss on wood. would look very nice A light smaller fish load gives you more
options of course.There used to be a display tank l saw once full of large Barbs a tree trunk wood in middle with Java ferns

I had clown loach a long time ago and they also used to bite holes in all plants just for the fun of it by the looks of things, they never actually consumed the plants.

Our clown loach group (had 11) was fine with pretty much any plant until they reached about 4-5 inches. I'm guessing it's a maturity thing as they became destructive about the same time their social squabbling got more violent. After that time every plant was just destroyed including supposedly foul tasting species like onion plants. Moss, vallis and soft leaved plants were just shredded over night.
So for the last 20 odd years they have been without plants but since the group has reduced in recent years I'm tempted to give it a go again. I don't think a high fish population rules plants out, you just perhaps, have to choose more wisely if any of the fish could be problematic with plants. If I do add plants it will be tough species like anubias first and then softer stuff it that survives.

Would this of been them hunting snails?
More just seemed like for the fun of it, no snails involved. They seem quite an intelligent fish if that makes sense? They’d often chase each other around in more of a playful manner rather than aggressive. They were a very interactive fish with their keeper, shame they get so big.

Completely agree with Conort2, they are a very social fish that can be very playful and interactive. The aggression I mention is just hierarchical. It tended to be the biggest two who were challenging each other, the aggression between the rest was pretty minimal but it could get very rough between the top dogs. You get really loud clicking and jaw locking, they lose most of their colour and it obviously takes a fair bit out of them due to their rapid breathing. It's quite a site to see two nearly foot long clowns going at it.

Completely agree with Conort2, they are a very social fish that can be very playful and interactive. The aggression I mention is just hierarchical. It tended to be the biggest two who were challenging each other, the aggression between the rest was pretty minimal but it could get very rough between the top dogs. You get really loud clicking and jaw locking, they lose most of their colour and it obviously takes a fair bit out of them due to their rapid breathing. It's quite a site to see two nearly foot long clowns going at it.
My Clowns Joust that is two go head to head for Top Clown. On one occasion one did get a nasty mouth injury but on the whole they get on okay.
Some of my Clowns are getting on for 18 years old.

ORDER YOUR MINER TODAY

All equipment will be shipped from our warehouses in Shenzhen China. Additional shipping charges apply to orders shipping to international destinations. A large order will be processed within 24 hours from the moment of payment and send to the client

ANEXMINER ET5 1.2 Gh/s ETH ETC MINER PROFIT 53$ DAY

WORLD DELIVERY 4-11 DAYS
I have no idea what any of that means lol.

Back