• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Are 'mini' kits entirely daft?

NeilW

Hello all :wave:

I know similar questions have been asked previously but has anyone had success with any of the available 'mini' pressurised co2 kits on the market?

The reason I ask is that I was eyeing up the Do!Aqua kit for a potential birthday present. This particular set looked attractive as 1) it has ADA build quality 2) the cylinder is slightly more then the other tiny kits around (which are 20g) and 3) the refills come in packs of 6 for £20.

Heres some shots of it in action;
http://petmategoo.exblog.jp/14392486/

according to the 'fluvalblog' regarding how long a 20g cyclinder would last;
Hagen said:
Used with the supplied diffuser the 20g kit will last for 55 fillings of the diffuser – one fill per day is fine for a tank up to 30 litres so the 20g cartridge will last almost 2 months.
source

Is this realistic?

I'm not man enough to mess with anything bigger and DIY co2 seems rather tedious to keep refiling. Could this be a real option or should I give up on my gas filled dreams and stick to my paint stripping liquid carbon?

Hi,

I do not know about these kits. What I know is that it is very unlikely that a 20g bottle will last 2 months even on a 30 litre tank.

I use a 500g bottle on my 10 littre tank at 1.5 bps and it lasts for 4-5 months.

Hope this helps,

GM

They can't beat disposable DIY 600g bottles in the long run for comparable setup price

The small co2 kits are not worth the bother. I got a TMC one, and really liked the Fluval that ukaps used at the vivarium show.

So far the smallest I have seen that is good value for money (no DIY) is the dennerle 500g disposable bottles .

I've got two of the TMC Expert one's (95g) - I got the second for £15 on ebay so was well happy after paying £45 or so on the first.

I would say it lasts about a month on my tanks 23L & 20L. I changed the non return valve on both though as this was causing me problems and I've had nothing but trouble when I've tried to introduce a solenoid. If you have the money or larger tanks I'd go large!!

For the money, there are only two advantages to these mini kits that i can see; size and very fine adjustment of the co2 rate (I would assume I dont have any personal experience of them). The size and space saving they offer might be useful for some. I also used a disposable cylinder based kit on my 30lt and I found it very hard to get the fine adjustment of the co2 rate that I needed. But that may have just been the needle valve I was using, other valves might be better. Actually thinking about it, the needle valve I have and seemed pretty good so I may be making all this up!

For have the price a DIY kit based on disposalbe cylinders gets my vote everytime, even with the above mentioned issue (and Im sure this could be sorted). Mini kits are expecsive and I dare say you'll be forever changing the cylinders as 20g aint gonna last very long any tank.

Just my £0.02 worth.

Sam

Cheers guys. You've confirmed what has already been said in other posts, which is basically its not worth it.

I wouldn't be comfortable with messing with a fire extinguisher, pub cylinder or welding gas unless I was shown for real exactly how to do it so sadly thats off the cards.

ghostsword said:
So far the smallest I have seen that is good value for money (no DIY) is the dennerle 500g disposable bottles.

Is this the one you mean;
http://www.aquajardin.co.uk/product/15836/dennerle_160_primus_co_sub_2_sub_kit_disposable_bottle

Someone should make a video next time they do a change over ad upload it.

Or anyone local to you that could put the ref on the f/e for you the 1st time.

NeilW said:
Cheers guys. You've confirmed what has already been said in other posts, which is basically its not worth it.

I wouldn't be comfortable with messing with a fire extinguisher, pub cylinder or welding gas unless I was shown for real exactly how to do it so sadly thats off the cards.

ghostsword said:
So far the smallest I have seen that is good value for money (no DIY) is the dennerle 500g disposable bottles.

Is this the one you mean;
http://www.aquajardin.co.uk/product/15836/dennerle_160_primus_co_sub_2_sub_kit_disposable_bottle

Yep, that is the one.

The bottles are cheap, £24, and they last long. :)

I've been using the fluval 20g in a 28l and it did last 2 months with the standard diffuser but I have upgraded the diffuser to a ceramic and it only lasted a week, so it's definitely better to go big ( which I'm going to do)

Tom

Sowith the Dennerle bottles what size is the connection? Could I use it for example with my TMC regulator or would o have to buy a new reg?

Back