• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Are silicon fumes toxic?

JamieH

Ok... here's my dilema...

I have a juwel rio 240 and it's my only tank...

At the front on the left hand side there's obviously a gap where the lid is sealed to the tank because i get condensation drips down the front of my tank in one specific spot.

I'm shortly going to drain the tank and add some soil subsrate (but keep 50% of the water and not clean the filters... so will be putting my fish straight back in after the rescape)...

I want to insert some silicon into the inside rim of the lid to stop the drip... question is, will the silicon go 'off' enough in a few hours? It's not supporting anything, just plugging a gap, so it doesn't have to perfectly set when the tank is filled... but will the fumes cause an issue?

Silicone needs about 24hours to be cured and I wouldn't personally want to risk it with fish near it before. As it cures the chemical produced is acetic acid which would effect the water if enough got into it, but shouldn't be too bad. However you could use a sealant that will cause no problems such as Gold Label sealer which can even be used underwater then it wouldn't be problem how soon the water got in contact with it. I have used this on my pond filter and added fish within an hour with no ill-effects.

Back