• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

IndyM

Fish
  • Inpaichthys kerri
  • Hyphessobrycon sweglesi
  • Nannostomus beckfordi (possible swap for Paracheirodon simulans instead, maybe even both)
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Caridina japonica
  • Otocinclus sp.

Can they all be kept together? Perhaps suggest a sensible number too. 200 L tank, 100cm x 45 x 50cm tank. Aquascaped. Heavily planted. Oase BioMaster Thermo 600.

Agree, I have/had a similar stock list in my 36”x16”x16”, with Emperor tetras and Bentosis replacing your first two, and Apistogramma agassizii in place of the Rams.

There a couple of considerations. Nannostomus definitely require a lid- over time I’ve lost all mine this way unfortunately.

Secondly, it can sometimes be difficult to get sufficient food to the cichlids with a large number of relatively boisterous tetras in the tank.

What kinds of numbers are you thinking? My Emperors have bred many times, there are at least 25 in there now. I have to say, having this many of one fish does give a pretty enjoyable display. There’s something to be said for having a decent number of fewer species.

Agree, I have/had a similar stock list in my 36”x16”x16”, with Emperor tetras and Bentosis replacing your first two, and Apistogramma agassizii in place of the Rams.

There a couple of considerations. Nannostomus definitely require a lid- over time I’ve lost all mine this way unfortunately.

Secondly, it can sometimes be difficult to get sufficient food to the cichlids with a large number of relatively boisterous tetras in the tank.

What kinds of numbers are you thinking? My Emperors have bred many times, there are at least 25 in there now. I have to say, having this many of one fish does give a pretty enjoyable display. There’s something to be said for having a decent number of fewer species.

Super!

I have a lid. Which will tick that box.

I was thinking 30 Amano Shrimp and 8 of everything else to start. Not sure about the rams though what'd be a good number to have if there are 8 of everything else?

I was also considering to add oryzias latipes but wasn't sure if they'll do well in this setup?

Last edited:
Inpaichthys kerri
These can be quite the little terrors - I suggest establishing the other fish first
Some people have no issue with them, others end up returning them
I’d add at least 12 and include both males and females
They should not be kept singly, lest any antagonistic behaviors develop towards tankmates
An apt phrase for this fish ;)

If you choose P simulans, these are a more retiring fish and seem to do better in larger groups (15-20)
I wouldn’t keep them with I kerri (except perhaps in a larger tank in a large shoal)

M ramirezi
the key is finding healthy well bred stock, select several juveniles including a few males and a few females

I've got a group of 15+ beckfordi pencilfish and they are great fish for the middle and upper level of the tank. I have a mixture of males and females and you get really rewarding sparring behaviour between the males but I wouldn't really go for less than a dozen as females can be pushed into the plants by the males and only come out when they aren't constantly harassed (more of a problem when they mature).
It's not just an issue with these, although beckfords are one of the more boisterous pencils and you would be less likely to see a problem with eques for example (they would also make a nice peaceful tankmate for the green neons if you swapped the emperors for them) but most tetra type fish do far better in groups of 12+. My personal preference is for bigger groups of less species but I think your list is doable in sufficient quantities to make it look good.

Back