• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Are these tubes T5 HO?

Schmill

My tank currently has an "AquaWhite" T5HO tube and an "AquaRed" T5HO tube, which give a very white light, and a pinkish light respectively. However as the tubes came with the tank and have now 'aged' I can't tell the manufacturer.

I've looked on Lampspecs and intend to get an Osram Lumilux 880, and an 840 to decide which I prefer, and pair one of them with a Grolux tube for the pinkish light (Grolux on LampSpecs).

What I am not sure about though is whether these tubes are HO? I think the white ones are HO, but I'm not sure about the GRolux. If it is not is there a HO version that would be recommended for a similar colour output.

Thanks

As Clive would say ( ceg4048) if the bulbs you have are still working why replace them
Manufacturers tell us that tubes need to be replaced yearly but all this does is line their pockets tubes only really need replacing when they fail
If you wish to try different combos then that's fine and I am daily positive that the grolux's are HO so you should be fine
Also try the Phillips 965 I preferred this to the 880
Matt

Cheers Matt. My 'pink' bulb is still working, but with my 'white' one, you can see waves of 'light' and 'dark' that seem to be flowing and rippling along the tube. It's also doesn't seem very bright, (probably been in around 2 yrs), hence looking to replace the tube. I might not fit the grolux straight away, but it seems to make sense to order a bunch of tubes together to save of the shipping :)
If the grolux at least 'seems' HO I'll go with it. Thanks for the nost on the 965's :)

Hi all,
I'm not sure about the light effect does, it sound like the tube is failing, but you shouldn't get this with electronically ballasted T5 tubes,they are either on or off, and just fail to light. You don't get the cycling and lamp lumen depreciation you get with magnetically ballasted T8 tubes.

cheers Darrel

Yeah, I didn't think I should get it either, however, sure enough, it is happening - lol

Back