• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Are those algae or something else?

Nikola

Hi people,
I noticed today something let's say white color on my moss. That moss is directly under light, just under the surface with lot of water flow.

Aquarium is totally algae free, just on this spot I have this. Hope that someone could help me to identify it from the picture.
Not the best photo quality but it is what I have.
9e7b736f39365fd214d9a0239665f907.jpg

Sent from my STK-L21 using Tapatalk

Okay, that's better option than the algae. But why?

Maybe it doesn't like direct flow from lily pipe. Or the light is too strong for it there.

I'm dosing 8ml of tropica specialized and 2ml tropica premium per day, and some extra KH2PO4 in 112 liter aquarium.
So I don't think, or I hope it's not some cind of deficiency.

For now I'm trimming it down and follow will it show up again. Cause on the same moss, but on another places I don't have those symptoms.

dosed with liquid carb or something else?

I have Fluorish Excel but I'm not dosing it. I inject CO2 with constant 1,3 ph drop from light on till light off. That drop difference is from aquarium water stayed over night in a glass.

Do you think that I still should dose Excel?

No, but some mosses dont like being dosed with liquid carbon. Not sure if they'd go white or brown from it though :)

Think that I'm on a way to discover white variety of Taiwan moss haha... Just kidding

I trimmed it back.

Just read here on Ukaps that maybe it's developing rhizoid growth on it's tips.
Ukaps member Zozo:

"It could be an accumulation of rhizoid growth.. Mosses, liverworths and ferns do not attach with roots in substrate as other plants do.. Tho plants also develope rhizoid growth on there roots commonly called hairroots, but you don't see them after all they are in the substrate. Those rhiziods are strains of cells it uses to attach to surfaces.

The first time i noticed this was with bolbitis fern i did put in a crack of a piece of driftwood not far from the glass. And after a while it grew a greyish/white fluffy cotton like plush on it's rhizome and rootstrains. It's easily misindentified as fungus or beard algea but it isn't. "

I'm not worried about this, but I'm interested to find a reason for it.

Back