• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Are you a fishkeeper or aquascaper?

Are you primarily an aquascaper who adds fish or a fish keeper who adds plants?

• Total voters

Ajm200

I’ve been a member of the group on and off for a long time. I know a lot of people on here are serious aquascapers who create amazing tanks and choose fish to complement the scape. Some of the tanks are spectacular.

There must also be people like me who are fishkeepers that like plants to make the tank a better environment for the fish and a bit prettier to look at.

I think there is a good mix on here. Myself I am a mix of the 2, I have tanks that are purely for the scape and plants and some that are fish only.

I guess most visitors of plant forums are plant first, fish second or just a footnote. Some are into both, but keep mostly small, plant friendly tetra and livebearers. I am in the minority who devote equal interest in scaping and big fish. I started out as a cichlid keeper for decades before learning how to grow plants.

Attachments

• BD7809E8-0068-4B42-A0D3-F499AF718587.jpeg
    BD7809E8-0068-4B42-A0D3-F499AF718587.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 88
  • FDA82638-E44F-4F24-9964-399429032B3B.jpeg
    FDA82638-E44F-4F24-9964-399429032B3B.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 93
I dont imagine there are a lot of people who are just scape only. The fish bring it all to life.

Aquascaping is the craft of arranging aquatic plants, as well as rocks, stones, cavework, or driftwood, in an aesthetically pleasing manner. Although my main consideration is making sure i have a mass of plants other than put this here because it looks good or chose something because of its colour. I suppose it can be both functional, and pleasing to look at.

Cant it be both? Though the happyness of my livestock is more important then the plants, I really want to make a bit of nature I could encounter snorkling in a pond etc.
Your plants will make your fish happy :)

I dont imagine there are a lot of people who are just scape only. The fish bring it all to life.
Scapers who just bring life to plants aren’t fish keepers. Fish keepers are interested in exploring different species of fish, observing their behavior to breeding and raising youngs. I am into both and spend as much time browsing fish forums as plant forums.

Iam 100% a fish keeper first, really enjoy aquascaping but am always drawn to more realistic/natural scapes. On the new tank I just did the fish I wanted to go in it were decided on before I even thought about the Scape, then I researched that fish's natural habitat and made my Scape to the best of my limited ability as close to it as I could. But as some have said above I do think both go hand in hand.

Back