• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Are you an Iwagumi fan?

Yes I'm a big fan, post submitted to PFK:

"I like them, but not if it's your only display tank.

I beleive that, to the untrained eye, they look a bit boring and a non-aquascaper or non-fishkeeper would not appreciate the work involved in acheiving the end result.

I personally have no objections and would like to have a nano iwagumi plus another, bigger, busier display tank."

I love the bones of a good iwagumi! They can present more of a challenge than any other kind of aquascaping.

I'm not too keen on them myself. They're nice to look at for a short period, but if it was my tank I'd want something with more nooks and crannies and a little busier.
Is there any tank you consider to be the definitive epitome of an Iwagumi, George?

I love the 'gumi style, and to a degree I like the theory behind stone placement and getting that balance. It's always fun to play with rocks :lol:

My current scape is sort of an iwagumi, but it was never meant to be...

I agree with gratts.

They're nice to look at, like a good picture. But I'd need more interest in it to keep it long term. Maybe that's why people only have them for a few months? :)

beeky said:
I agree with gratts.

They're nice to look at, like a good picture. But I'd need more interest in it to keep it long term. Maybe that's why people only have them for a few months? :)

It's a good point. I'm already planning my next layout. Ironically, possibly another Iwagumi.... :D

Have to say, I've always liked them but as long as the tank looks good, Idon't mind whether I'm looking at Iwagumi, Jungle, Dutch or whatever.

Incidentally, liked the pic you posted of your glassware George, nice little demo of a vortex and not a straight through flow as suggested in another blog. :lol:

Not really. I'd get bored of it sooner or later.
A bit more natural for me, like "Without Boundaries" by Jason Balibans.

I must admit a while ago I did not like Iwagumi's, but since being back into the hobby big time, I now appreciate a good setup in whatever form it takes, cos I understand more and more the effort that's been put into it :D

I`ll post on here, rather than PFK, so Jeremy can`t delete it! 8)

For me, the Iwagumi is the most difficult scape to master, as there is nowhere for anything out of place to hide. The hardscape defines the look, rather than supplying the foundations for the final look, as in a Nature Aquarium.

As for the “jungle” look….is this an aquascape? :? Supply a tank, water lights, substrate and ferts, then buy a mix of plants off eBay and stick them in the tank and watch them become overgrown.

Reading between the lines, are “jungles” for those that can`t aquascape (no offence :D ), or is it a genuine type of scape? I`m not convinced.

Dave.

EDIT: Forgot to say...the Iwagumi is King in my humble opinion.

I'm not a huge fan of Iwagumi style but there are the odd ones that I like. They do have to be really well done to impress me though :p

I think Junglescape is misunderstood. If they just chuck plants in and let it grow then it is jungle but not scaped so not junglescape.

I tend to think Junglescapes are more a case of scapes that look like they 'belong' under water and are not as 'tampered' with r.e. pruning etc as most scapes are :)

I agree r.e. Jeremy. Seems he finished the 'blog' with 'I am proved right' and then no other posts allowed. Ducked out of the argument before he took to many blows me thinks ;)

AC

AC

Back