• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

AS Amazonia II

swackett

Has anyone used Amazonia II substrate that could give me a few hints on how to plant in it ??

It's just that the stuff compresses down when I plant meaning its hard to keep the plant stems in after you let go without backfilling which is a little hard in small/quiet dense planted areas.

I've been using it in a new setup now for 3 weeks, I've read it leaches NH4, does anyone know how long it does this as I still seem to have algae growing off the substrate :?

(Maybe I have a bad batch of it as people do seem to like it on here.)

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Hi,

Yeah I use tweezers, however as you push the stem in the soil just compresses and when you let go of the plant it just floats up - It's really annoying :twisted:

Sounds like you might not have the substrate deep enough? how deep is it?

I find planting tweesers help a lot. The only problems I ever have are with the fact that my Crinums roots have spread so far and bound the AS together. When I plant in these areas I have to jiggle the AS back to fill the hole and secure the stem. Not a major problem, but I don't have Amazonia II but the original version.

I've been using tweezers on my Amazonia, but did find that 5 cm depth was not enough, and 8 cm + depth held my stems much better. But i am an Aqua soil newbie. ;)

Also i've used Amazonia 1 + 2, there is no visbile difference between them, except for there own unique properties.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Going back to my original post, does anyone know how long it will leach for? Looking at a recent topic by Jonny70 am I right in assuming it will for at least 6 weeks ??? :eek:

Cheers

Back