• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

AS900- restart and rethink.

I can see already its going to be an uphill battle keeping soil off the sand
(any tips)

Hi [mention]SRP3006 [/mention] I am not experienced but some tactics I used include:

- White filter floss stuffed between rocks but out of sight to block gaps.

- black filter sponge to block gaps in visible areas for example where a rock is against the glass. The black sponge is a close colour match to the aqua soil so not very noticeable.

- cotton wool soaked in superglue and covered in crushed aquasoil (for disguise) to create tiny dams between where rocks meet each other and soil could overflow

- quite powerful magnet from Amazon used to attract magnetic aqua soil away from non magnetic sand. I do this on the sand I have sucked out of the aquarium and dried out but I think it should work underwater as I have seen something similar on YouTube.

Cheers Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still a beginner in this area so please do take my comments with a large pinch of salt. I would place each piece of wood so it is aligned in the same direction, towards the left side of the tank. So I would move the branch. It comes down to imo your personal viewpoint...what you like.
I see what you mean and I've been moving the wood about but that wood looks really awkward in any other position I've tried due to the loop. I've moved a few other bits and I think I'm happy with it now.
There's no way I'm winning any competitions but I kinda like it , and it's given me some experience for future scapes

One thing I have learnt when planting is to group the plants keep the leave sizes from small to bigger
Well the stem plants have pretty small leaves at the back, 3 species of small Cryptocoryne in the middle ground along with the epiphytes. Monte carlo pushed in the gaps between the rocks and on top the rocks in the gaps. So smaller at the back mostly.

- black filter sponge to block gaps in visible areas for example where a rock is against the glass. The black sponge is a close colour match to the aqua soil so not very noticeable.

- cotton wool soaked in superglue and covered in crushed aquasoil (for disguise) to create tiny dams between where rocks meet each other and soil could overflow

Thanks Chris, I like those, especially with the sponge as I have loads of black sponge left from previous filters. Whatever I do I think the Amanos are going to have their own agenda anyway

Updated scape
d9673853c67c1f66fbcea24aa1630867.jpg

You can just make your own all in one with dry ferts it's pretty easy to do looks complicated but if I can do it I'm sure you can
Can anybody point me in the right direction to make my own all in one fert?
I have most of the dry powders already, just a 'recipe' if you like.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to make my own all in one fert?
I have most of the dry powders already, just a 'recipe' if you like.
You can use my formula in my thread ;)

Thank you, is that based on EI? I've read through your thread but I wasn't sure and noticed you reverted back to your original fert mixture.
I can post an update of what I am using now, I have just slightly tweaked my original formula!

Plants arrived from @Aquarium Gardens, usual amazing quality and service, really well packed quality plants.
Was originally planning on doing the plants tomorrow night but couldn't wait

Tank fully planted now and I've got the weekend to try and sort the co2 and get a head start on water changes.

First time using buce theia, and I'm going to be ordering some more as they are stunning.
4dd42357b673c7c46f176b9b73e0087e.jpg
861750ebd78dd4edf7a00590c2ec702c.jpg
c3f7d6cbd416b829d3090dbd558d01a5.jpg
5f0c419c3a90db5e91e802f9d339173a.jpg

Ignore the skimmer cable, backing is TBC, also some more buce and anubias to fish out of the spare tank in daylight so I don't spook the fish.

Looks really nice Sam what was your plant list in the end i like the way you have planted out the sections in the back can't wait to see the sand in and the red plants poping out will change the look entirely

Thanks Jay,
Plant list was basically the same as above but with addition of floaters and extra buce and anubias.

Got a feeling I didn't order enough crypts though, may add them to an order with some more buce.

Tank looks awesome :D

Before ordering more Buces, Crypts I’d wait for tank to settle a bit (you may want to add some more fast growers or replace plants that may have melted etc)

As you mention fish in a spare tank, I’d wait for MC to begin rooting (usually a couple weeks) before adding fish and big shrimp (ie Amano type) back to the tank

Also keep moss trimmed close to the wood initially to encourage lateral growth and (hopefully) better adhesion (depending upon moss variety and wood surface)

After struggling to maintain my previous larger, deeper, braced aquarium I have opted for an (hopefully) easier aquarium to upkeep.
I assume this is the 120x60x60 ND aquatics - is this one still running?

Tank looks awesome :D

Before ordering more Buces, Crypts I’d wait for tank to settle a bit (you may want to add some more fast growers or replace plants that may have melted etc)

As you mention fish in a spare tank, I’d wait for MC to begin rooting (usually a couple weeks) before adding fish and big shrimp (ie Amano type) back to the tank

Also keep moss trimmed close to the wood initially to encourage lateral growth and (hopefully) better adhesion (depending upon moss variety and wood surface)

Thanks Alto, much appreciated.

I was going to wait a few weeks just in case I lost some of the buce, sometimes they don't take too kindly to the dollop of glue.
With the frogbit, Hemianthus micranthemoides and rotala h'ra in there do you think I would still need some more fast growers? (honest question)

I am in no rush to move the stock over, TBH the cherry shrimp and nerites will be the first as they shouldn't cause any problems, but the Amanos OTH are rather large beasts and will make a right mess.

Thanks for the tip on the moss (weeping), I've not used weeping moss that much in the past but it seems to be responding well already, as are the stems at the back.

Back