• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

AS900- restart and rethink.

So a simple mistake like that could have caused the issues with my rotala?
Thank you @dw1305 @Zeus for helping me sort this out.
I'm guessing when I mix a new batch I should see improvements reasonably quickly in a fast grower like rotala sp?

When the new fert calculator is ready I plan on tweaking things a little anyway/experimenting a little so I can learn.

When the phosphate and iron react is it just the iron that becomes unusable or both the phosphate and iron?

Hi all,
When the phosphate and iron react is it just the iron that becomes unusable or both the phosphate and iron?
Both, so Fe+++ and PO4--- form the insoluble ferric (iron III) phosphate, FePO4. Usually you would run out of Fe+++ ions before you run out of PO4--- ions.

When you have <"phosphate stripping" at a waste water plant"> they continually add ferric chloride (FeCl3) to the waste stream to generate the Fe+++ ions which strip the PO4--- from the water column and precipitate out the insoluble FePO4.

cheers Darrel

This is seriously complicated to me i really need to learn more about ferts and what abbreviations are and what lack of nutrients cause.

I literally purchased the Apfuk starter kit and dose alternate days.

Can i make a AIO solution from these elements ? Sorry to hijack mate but what exactly are you dosing etc ?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

This is seriously complicated to me i really need to learn more about ferts and what abbreviations are and what lack of nutrients cause.

Can i make a AIO solution from these elements ? Sorry to hijack mate but what exactly are you dosing etc ?

Yes, doesnt matter where the Anions and Cations come from as plants don't read the labels ;) just need some Potassium sorbate and Ascorbic Acid (vit C) - both cheap as chips on ebay

Hi all, Both, so Fe+++ and PO4--- form the insoluble ferric (iron III) phosphate, FePO4. Usually you would run out of Fe+++ ions before you run out of PO4--- ions.

When you have /campaign.veoliawatertechnologies.co.uk/phosphorus-removal?']phosphate stripping" at a waste water plant[/URL]"> they continually add ferric chloride (FeCl3) to the waste stream to generate the Fe+++ ions which strip the PO4--- from the water column and precipitate out the insoluble FePO4.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel, I think I understand that enough, chemistry wasnt/isn't my subject. Never needed it to drive HGV's
At least we've got to the bottom of it and I should be OK from now on.

I still have the starter kit from apfuk I've just had to buy so K2S04 as the kit doesn't have it. That's so I can reduce the nitrate in the water column without reducing the phosphate. Mgso4 (epsom salt) is much cheaper in bulk in places like ebay for example.

Yes, doesnt matter where the Anions and Cations come from as plants don't read the labels ;) just need some Potassium sorbate and Ascorbic Acid (vit C) - both cheap as chips on ebay
Bought both of them on ebay, the ascorbic acid (vit c) is really cheap as body builders use the stuff.

That's what's nice about DIY ferts, cheap as chips really. As long as you turn your noggin on when making them

I actually purchased K2so4 from APFUK so think tk make a AIO all i will need is absorbic acid what i take it is VIT C .

I will have to get some from ebay then make a post i think thanks guys

I actually purchased K2so4 from APFUK so think tk make a AIO all i will need is absorbic acid what i take it is VIT C .

I will have to get some from ebay then make a post i think thanks guys

You will need some potassium sorbate too which is basically a mould inhibitor.

Tidied up the sand, scrubbed a few rocks, trimmed the moss and removed a lot of frogbit. Plugged a few more holes that I've missed in the wall, it seems I have missed a few
Stems have picked up since my mistake with the ferts, grown rather fast in the past week. Added some pebbles covered in some cracking fissidens from @Filip Krupa
Harlequins are now at 30 and I've added 10 cherry barbs. 3 males 7 females, which have settled in well.
82cc9112fcbb1eb7ac701833b3c60b24.jpg
0b44557c303b88ee663108c4a9e8eb78.jpg
019fcc365f24de078079477509ca58b0.jpg

Also the buce that melted are growing new buds and small leaves so I'm hoping they are coming back.

Last edited:
Tidied up the sand, scrubbed a few rocks, trimmed the moss and removed a lot of frogbit. Plugged a few more holes that I've missed in the wall, it seems I have missed a few
Stems have picked up since my mistake with the ferts, grown rather fast in the past week. Added some pebbles covered in some cracking fissidens from @Filip Krupa
Harlequins are now at 30 and I've added 10 cherry barbs. 3 males 7 females, which have settled in well.
82cc9112fcbb1eb7ac701833b3c60b24.jpg
0b44557c303b88ee663108c4a9e8eb78.jpg
019fcc365f24de078079477509ca58b0.jpg

Also the buce that melted are growing new buds and small leaves so I'm hoping they are coming back.

Looking really great! I do love the island style layout, it always seems to create a greater sense of space.

Looking great, really crisp and a good shape.
Cheerio,

Looking really great! I do love the island style layout, it always seems to create a greater sense of space.
Thank you, I'm enjoying this tank quite a lot. Maintenance is a pleasure it's so easy. (well, not keen on the sand at the minute)

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Thank you, moss is slowly spreading up the manzi and hopefully the hygrophila will grow emersed at some point.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
Looks great mate does the moss just slowly spread as i was unsure of this as want to keep tight in wood ?

Dean

Back