• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Asian Jungle

Re: Forest

Not the best photo in the world but it'll do I suppose. It was taken this morning and since then I've repositioned the Ferns a bit because they didn't look right. It looks much better now.
DSCF0613.jpg

I know it looks a bit empty but you can't see the Rotala at the back because it's so short.

I'm going up Crews Hill tomorrow where there's about six LFS, so no doubt I'll come back with some plants, although the main one I'll get is Anubias. There's some nice holes between the wood and rocks to get that stuck in. I might get some moss too if they have it but I'm not sure whether I'm gonna moss up the wood or not (thoughts?). I'll also get some Crypt Parva or more Rotala if they have it.

Comments welcome as always. ;0

Very nice!
2 tips however, make sure the line of the substrate is ruler straight along the glass and trim out about half the leaves in the needle leave to encourage new growth. I can see this turning out amazing.

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll probably moss up the wood then. :D

I know what you mean about the substrate, Garuf. I'll be doing that when the tank is a little clearer because the sand has got all mixed in and stuff. I was thinking of trimming the ferns because they are a little big anyway. Is it just a matter of pulling the leaves out from the rhizome?

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention the rock on the left isn't staying - it's just a precaution to keep the redmoor down incase it decides to float.

Thanks again guys

Unfortunately no, You have to trim them right the way back to the rhizome, unlike crypts they don't just snap off.

Garuf said:
Unfortunately no, You have to trim them right the way back to the rhizome, unlike crypts they don't just snap off.

Right, I get ya. The scissors are coming out tomorrow then! :twisted:

Just for tomorrow - about the Anubias, I know that it's better to split it up into plantlets or something? Do you just snap off the seperate stems from the meeting with the main one?

Nice more, mine too. My cube needs tidying.
Do you have many fast growers in there? It's worth adding some floaters till everything's growing nice and fast.

Garuf said:
Nice more, mine too. My cube needs tidying.
Do you have many fast growers in there? It's worth adding some floaters till everything's growing nice and fast.

Just Rotala Green. I swear it's already grown loads since yesterday or I might just be imagining things. What floaters would you recommend? I was going to add some anyway, either Salvinia, Water Lettuce or Hydrocotyle V-something.

Am I right with how to split the Anubias?

I've just got back from plant shopping! The plants are in and looking great. I've decided that this tank is going to be really low-maintenance with ferns, crypts, moss and anubias.

I bought a massive anubias and two post of c. becketti from Wildwoods. I split the anubias up and put it in - it looks so much better than I thought it would (and it keeps the fern in shape wich is a bonus). The becketti has gone round the back of the anubias and ferns on the wood, which will hopefully become the background plant and bush out real nice.

I'll get some photos up later because the tank is quite cloudy but prepare to be amazed.

I've changed the name of this journal to 'Asian Jungle' because that's how it's turning out and how I want it to be - just like a jungle.

The plants are all from Asia too (except for the Anubias but shh). I've decided that my fish choice is either going to be a small (4cm or less) Barb, Danio or Rasbora.

The tanks pretty clear this morning so I'm gonna take some pics later. I'm also gonna order some Parva because AE randomly have some! Good times.

I've ben thinking about fish choice too. I'm probably gonna have some Cherry Shrimp in this tank, or maybe some MTS (or both). I've narrowed the fish choice down to a small barb like cherry, or jae I think it's called. They look pretty cool, or zebra/leopard danios or harlequin/galaxy rasboras or some sort of microrasbora. They had some cool microrasboras in MA yesterday, called neon blue and neon green. They looked pretty cool but not very colourful, maybe it was just because they were in a shop tank.

I am slightly leaning towards Harlequins/Zebra danios though...

Here's the pic as primised:

DSCF0624.jpg

As you can see it's a lot clearer now. There's just a few things I'm not sure on:

Can you see that there are two Ferns? Well I don't think the left smaller one looks right. Do you think it'll just grow into position? (I have trimmed the ferns since the last pic btw.)

I might swap the R. Green for H. Polysperma? Yay or nay? I just think it'll go with the 'jungle' feel more. I know you can't see the Rotala yet anyway but you get the idea.

I'm relaly pleased with the anubias. It looks a lot better than I imagined.

I've ordered the Parva anyway. I don't know if AE will post it today or tomorrow but either way it'll be here within the next two days!

Whatcha think then?

Looks good to me. Keep the Rotalla, Polysperma is too big and unruly for such a small tank.

Garuf said:
Looks good to me. Keep the Rotalla, Polysperma is too big and unruly for such a small tank.

I was thinking that just as I posted too. I'll see what the Rotala looks like when it's grown in and fuller anyway.

Thanks Garuf + joyous.

I got the Parva today. Just planted it. I need to get another pot though just to fill in a few gaps and to put a little to the left of the wod. I'm also gonna get another pot of Wendtii to fill in another couple of gaps and to put behind the parva on the left. I'm also gonna get another Narrow Fern to replace the crappy left one. And then another Anubias.

Should be good then, just need to wait for it to fill in. I really want to see what the Rotala looks like when it's taller but it hasn't quite taken off yet. It's definately grown a bit though.

Anyway, I'll get some moss when I can to sort out the wood. I've got good vibes from this tank - its going so much better than I imagined. Maybe some photos later.

Back