• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Asian Jungle

I've been away for the weekend at a wedding but left the lights on timers etc. Luckily, everything is fine except the Rotala which has died. It was looking a bit straggly when I left though. I think it's because I didn't really take as much care as I should have done and they were a bit overshadowed by the Crypts etc. I'll get some more and let it grow a bit in the open first.

Just a quick update.

There's not much growth that I can see, but all I've got is slow growers so I'm not expecting anything anyway. I was expecting a crypt melt but there's not much sign of that either!

The tank is looking a bit dirty though, especially the sand! So much work keeping it tidy. There is some algae, but only on the redmoor. I might order some amanos from AE or get some ottos soon.

On the subject of livestock, I got six ember tetras on sunday. I paid for eight but the guy only gave me six! They are very nervous and spend most of their time darting about and hinding under the filter, because there is nowhere else for them to hide. But, they have coloured up a little bit. They aren't eating though, which is quite worrying. I might go to MA tomorrow because i've got the day off school and get six more.

Final decision on planating is that I'm gonna get H. Polysperma for back right. I think it'll go with the jungle feel more, even though it's a bit out of perspective or whatever, but at the end of the day this tank isn't meant to be award-winning, just a hobby for me. I also took the anubias out, because that was DEFINATELY too big for the tank. I need to get another narrow fern for the wood, a bit of parva, wendtii and java moss too. It's coming along quite well though.

I am pretty annoyed though. It seems my tank is now the home of a snail colony! They must have got in from the plants that I got from the lfs: anubias. Buggers. Oh well, I'm not one to hold back when it comes to snail removal.

Here's hoping the ember tetras buck up their ideas anyway...

Thomas McMillan said:
On the subject of livestock, I got six ember tetras on sunday. I paid for eight but the guy only gave me six!

I'd (politely of course!) mention that when you go back in to buy some more. I'd be surprised if they didn't give you an extra couple to make up for it :D

Glad to hear it is all going well, except for the snails... which is always seem to find there way into my tanks sooner or later! Shame it was sooner.

a1Matt said:
Thomas McMillan said:
On the subject of livestock, I got six ember tetras on sunday. I paid for eight but the guy only gave me six!

I'd (politely of course!) mention that when you go back in to buy some more. I'd be surprised if they didn't give you an extra couple to make up for it :D

Glad to hear it is all going well, except for the snails... which is always seem to find there way into my tanks sooner or later! Shame it was sooner.

Yeah, that was at MA St. Albans. I don't go there very often because it's a bit further than my local fish shops. I'd be going to the one just ten minutes up the road tomorrow if I do end up going. Still, it's not a big deal, just a couple of quid. I will be checkin how many they put in the bag from now on though.

I'm really pleased with the ember tetras though. They are shoaling brilliantly (but let's see how they fair when they are settled in). And they appear to be feeding a little now although they are still very nervous. All have coloured up real nice too.

There are quite a few snails actually. I haven't spotted them and they've all seemed to appear at once but I'm on to them big time.

Thanks for the comments!

I went to Aquaric Design Centre in Great Portland Street yesterday. :D Got some H. Polysperma and loads of moss. Good times!

I've added the original filter that came with the tank - Stingray someting-or-other. There just wasn't enough flow in the tank and it wasn't clearing up as much as I want it to. I'm gonna get an Eden 501 when I've got the money.

The Embers are doing okay. They're still not eating much, even though I've started using my special syringe technique. I'm probably gonna get some more on Saturday. They're still quite nervous, and stay right at the bottom just above the substrate but they are quite lively and swim about. They shoal brilliantly too! They must know that I'll be onto them if they don't. :D

I'll get some pics up in the next few days.

Thomas McMillan said:
aaronnorth said:
are you sure it isnt a bacterial bloom?

Am I sure what isn't a bacterial bloom? :S

I've added the original filter that came with the tank - Stingray someting-or-other. There just wasn't enough flow in the tank and it wasn't clearing up as much as I want it to. I'm gonna get an Eden 501 when I've got the money.

going by this it still seems after a few eeks that it is cloudy.

Oh right. Yeah, it is a bit cloudy but I think it's just because I was fiddling around yesterday, putting the new plants in and also did a water change earlier today.

If it was a bacterial bloom, what would that mean?

The tank has cleared up nicely now. I think it was because I decided to add the other filter, which is now the only one in the tank - I removedTher the other one because it wasn't doing much. There's now a lot more flow in the tank which is great.

Embers are doing okay. I still haven't observed them feeding but I still put food in and hope that they eat when the lights are out or when I'm not around. They are still very nervous but when they decide to colour up they are stunning little fish. I've noticed that there are two or three that have a really deep red and a few that stay quite drab. I'm guessing the more colourful are males, but I like the contrast all the same. I might get a few more tomorrow because I'm going up the fish shops.

Clear tank = photos so be prepared tomorrow!

Grr. This tank is really annoying me. I think I've got that ''I hate this tank, could do better but stuck with it for now'' syndrome again!

I've got a little 'side' project going, just my old 28ltr in a sort of iwagumi, sort of like Tom Messengers. I'm gonna keep that going because I can see it's got potential. This tank just doesn't anymore. I just hate everything about it now, apart from the crypt parva.

I've got other plans for this tank anyway. I've decided that I'm gonna demolish it soon and start on my 72ltr. I've been wanting to set up a Sri Lankan biotope for months now, so that's what this is gonna be. Look out for a new journal soon!

(You never know with me though, I could wake up one day and decide to keep it like this! :lol: )

This tank is gone, pssh.

It just wans't going how I planned blah blah.

Fear not though, I have bigger and better fish to fry!

What a shame :( I think you were actually on to something, but i do like the triangular layouts. Hopefully you'll start a new journal soon?

I'm in the middle of a tank, actually. It's weird because I just sort of threw it together with bits and bobs lying around as a holding/quarantine/whatever tank that I wanted to look half decent. But it turns out it's my best tank to date, I think anyway. It's not 'finished' yet but I'm gonna be posting photos of it in the Planted Tank section when it's on its way.

I dunno, I just wasn't feeling it with this tank really. I've got plans for this aquarium anyway, so there'll be another journal for that.

Back