• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Asplenium ruta-muraria

zozo

I have several of them growing on the old wall of my shed, which is great ofcourse.. Now and then i see a very smal ones appear, usualy i just let them be, but last year i took one off and this one didn't make it. This year again i found a few higher on the wall where i'm sure they wont survive the warm summer anyway, saw them before at that spot and they never did till now.. So i took 'm off the wall. They are still very tiny..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asplenium_ruta-muraria

I failed already once, for some reason i can't seem to find a guide to grow them.. Anybody an idea what the secret is of keeping them alive on wood for example instead of a wall or a calcareous rock?
:)

That's great Roy.. :thumbup: That's the site i just couldn't find.. Good info.. Thanks.. They are indeed difficult to get goin..

Hi Marcel

A. ruta-muraria is a common fern here in the Spanish Mediterranean. It never grows in large clumps though... it is not very demanding in terms of humidity but benefits from shaded position. In late spring these plants get dehydrated and then grow back again, at least that is what apparently happens. I have never been very lucky with similar "dry tolerant" ferns such as Polypodium cambricum, Ceterach officinarum and some Asplenium... all of them look easy at a first glance to be cultivated for being less demanding in terms of humidity, but I always struggle to keep them for a long period.

Jordi

Hi Jordi, they indeed seem to be very picky about the spot they like to grow.. The east wall of my shed in a shaded well protect corner they grow in abundancy, i have no idea what you consider a large clumb, but there are growing quite a few of them together already for years. I'll take a picture of it when they are at their best, not yet realy there but coming. :)

And sometimes i see young ones grow early spring higher up the wall, but there they never survive long term.. Ive also tried a rather mature one and replaced it to another spot in my garden just around the corner, also shaded, but didn't survive and completle dried out. This week i found 3 young ones again high up the wall already n trouble.. Took 'm off and trying again. :) One on the wood above my tank, tried that before, but failed it dried out, now after a year there is moist moss on that piece of wood, maybe this helps. We shall see.
Picky buggers, but beautifull.

Back