• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

attaching fissidens fontanus to rock?

Small black elastic bands, the ones used by hairdressers!

Try and use something permanent, i find fissedens doesnt like attaching to rock, even after 6 months it will float away. Maybe that just me...
Cameleon fishing line is good as blends with whatever is behind it and wont break like cotton or elastic bands until your sure it is attached.

Blender + water + moss then paint the mix on the rocks, then grow in a terrarium and spray with tank water 2-3x a day, it;'ll attach in 1-2 weeks and then you can transfer to a tank.

plantbrain said:
Blender + water + moss then paint the mix on the rocks, then grow in a terrarium and spray with tank water 2-3x a day, it;'ll attach in 1-2 weeks and then you can transfer to a tank.

thats amazing! im trying that tomorrow. :D

easerthegeezer said:
plantbrain said:

thats amazing! im trying that tomorrow. :D

Amano does this too. Kind of. He chops it up (read for gets one of his lackies to chop it up) really fine and paints/pushes it onto the rock right there in the aquarium. I would point out that this was a very porous kind of rock though. But it still worked.

I like Tom's suggestion even better. Tom, for "terrarium" can we read that as "old goldfish bowl" or something similar ? Would it benefit to have a small amount of fertiliser added to the water spray ?

Hi all,
Same for me, I've just done this with a tufa forming moss (poss. Gymnostomum calcareum) and some "dead" tufa, and it worked really well. The problem with tying Fissidens is that it is really fragile and you end up breaking it, rather than tying it on. It attaches firmly to wood, but I don't have any on a rock, so it may not if the surface is non-porous.

Blender details here: <http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/82384/one-way-to-attach-mini-fissidens-on-the-rock-or-carpet> (originally posted by "frothhelmet" here <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19621&p=199053>)

Super-glue is another option.
I like Tom's suggestion even better. Tom, for "terrarium" can we read that as "old goldfish bowl" or something similar ?
I used a 2litre Ice-cream container, lid on, with about 1cm of water in the base (tufa is porous).
You need some light, but no direct sun-light.
Would it benefit to have a small amount of fertiliser added to the water spray ?
No, unless it was extremely dilute, but you could spray it with old tank water.

Wilkinson's do good sprayers for about a £1.

cheers Darrel

Back