• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

attaching moss to slate

Mark Evans

Expert
is it possible? surely its the same as wood? ive tied some to a small piece if slate and put it in the henge

thanks

I found wood or granite to work best with mosses. What you do is use a nutural coloured cotton and wrap it round the sparse moss.
Some mosses won't actually stick to anything underwater though...
What moss have you used?

saintly said:
Garuf said:
What moss have you used?

errr, i think its spikey or weeping...one of the 2 its what LD sent me.

Yep I sent both of those hehe use cotton thread around it not too tight and it will cover it in no time ;)

Spiky won't attach and forms really nice bushes weeping will attach and forms "flows" make sure you lift them out when you do a water change and give then a wriggle in a bowl of clean water, it helps stop detritus settling in them.

I've tried slate and found it didn't really stick even to the rough edges. I was using it for a JM lawn and ended up going with coconut shell pieces that worked much better. If you do go with slate use fishing line and then that'll keep it attached for as long as you want it, rather than rotting like cotton.

Ed Seeley said:
If you do go with slate use fishing line and then that'll keep it attached for as long as you want it, rather than rotting like cotton.

thanks ed. i'll have to get me some coconuts :D

Bog wood fragments work well, sandstone too. As long as the surface feels like sandpaper of noticeably rough it will work well.

I have some spiky moss on slate in my tank, only added about 3 weeks ago, so still quite sparse.

I read a guide which said to tie it down onto slate quite tight, but LD said not to tie it tight......which is right? should I loosen and re-do it?

Also, if I find it doesn't stick to the slate well enough or I want to change it in future, I like the idea of coconut shell. Do you have to prepare it in any special way?

I mean, if I just go and buy a coconut from the supermarket, how do I make sure its safe to use and free from any chemicals/bugs/bacteria which might be harmful or bad for my tank or inhabitants?? Do you need to soak or boil or bake it or anything?

By the way - shrimps just luurrrve the moss!!

Spiky wont stick to anything, just use fishing line rather than cotton, tightness doesn't matter so much as long as it's not so tight it splits the moss in half.
I'd stick to slate, it's not like you'll see it once you have a good cover of moss.

Mark, I attached my java moss to some ada riccia stones (slate) with cheepo fishing wire. (Which run right across the front of my tank dividing the Eco-complete and sand). It won't stick to slate, first of all I tried the brown ada thread, but in a few weeks the moss started rising/floating. Use fishing line and it will hold forever and grow nice and bushy :)

I've attached java moss to slate and its worked fine. Created quite a nice effect with moss covered wood sitting over it, forming a cushion.
here
005.jpg

Just covered any exposed slate with sand.
I tied it on with fishing line and when I tried to remove it, it took the moss off with it so I would recommend using cotton.

Back