• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Attaching Pogostemon Helferi

CeeBee

I've got some Pogostemon Helferi arriving this week and I know its going to be a challenge to attach it to the wood in my tank. I wondered if anyone might be able to offer some advice?

The challenge, is that I want to attach it to a fork in the wood which forms a fairly deep bowl - here's a pic;

3475559635_04da3f0fc9_o.jpg
(The anubias got sheared today because of algae and please excuse the snail - my assassin snails don't deserve their name).

Can anyone suggest how I might tie it on, bearing in mind that I want it to attach to into a bowl in the wood? I'm at a bit of a loss - all I can think of is to try and weight it in some way - but I'm concerned about damaging the plant. The other idea was to put some substrate into the bowl and plant it in. Do you think that might be the best solution?

Thank you.

Caroline

The challenge is going to be how to tie it down into the bowl (thanks for the idea about fishing line Paul). The wood is too big to lift out to allow me to tie it underneath. This pic might help illustrate what I think the challenge is going to be;

3404235807_e7b01a311b_b.jpg

The P. Helferi will go in the fork at the bottom (there's some anubias there in the pic). The fork has quite a deep bowl in it (you can see it in the first pic I posted) - so tying anything into it, is going to be tricky.

I'm really surprised that you can use superglue in an aquarium, Sam - I'll have a read up about that. Considering that I managed to melt my overhead lighting the other day though, can you imagine the chaos that would result in my wielding superglue?! <shudders>.

Thanks again for your suggestions :D

Another thumbs up for superglue from me. :D

Dave.

You could attach it to a smaller piece of wood, then just put that in the dip.

That's a good idea, Rawr - that might be the safest option for me. I think I've still got a small piece that had to be removed to get the wood in the tank.

I'm really amazed at the superglue thing - I've ordered a couple of these plants, so I might try gluing one on too.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

superglue it to some small pebbles and then sit them in position. Once the plant's roots ovegrow the pebble you won't se it.

Be careful when supergluing the plants though. make sure you don't superglue all the roots or they will struggle to grow :)

AC

SuperColey1 said:
superglue it to some small pebbles and then sit them in position. Once the plant's roots ovegrow the pebble you won't se it.

Be careful when supergluing the plants though. make sure you don't superglue all the roots or they will struggle to grow :)

AC

i was going to say superglue onto pebbles as, it has to dry before being submerged ;)

What beautiful tanks!

Well, superglue it is then. I'm so pleased I asked, there is no way that I would have ever considered that as an option.

Aaron - I probably shouldn't admit this, but I'm glad you clarified that point - it could have gotten messy if you hadn't :oops:

thats a big chunk of wood :wideyed:-super glue is probably the best option.
oh and what is the plant in the back left of the tank with the big leaves?

While Superglue works brilliantly for attaching plants to dirftwood (and any slightly absorbant rock IME), Pogostemon helferi is usually planted in the substrate, not attached to driftwood! I'm sure it' might be ok if you keep on top of your dosing but it's not one of the usual ones to attach.

Ed Seeley said:
While Superglue works brilliantly for attaching plants to dirftwood (and any slightly absorbant rock IME), Pogostemon helferi is usually planted in the substrate, not attached to driftwood! I'm sure it' might be ok if you keep on top of your dosing but it's not one of the usual ones to attach.
I've seen p Helferi attached to wood more often recently online and in shops. I've never seen it in an established setup, so this will be interesting to see how it goes along.

Superman said:
Ed Seeley said:
I've seen p Helferi attached to wood more often recently online and in shops. I've never seen it in an established setup, so this will be interesting to see how it goes along.

I have too, i have also seen crypts and echinodorous sp attached to objects aswell.

I've only seen them rooted into lava rock once and never seen them long term in someone's tank. Will be interested to see if they survive!

I've attached this previously to bogwood and seiryu rock, i normally cut back the roots slightly, and then wrap brown cotton around. Normally takes a couple of weeks to attach, but really does anchor well.

True, it does like to be rooted in the substrate, but like most plants, good lighting, good co2 and good fert dosing and your there. :D

DSC00287.jpg

glenn said:
thats a big chunk of wood :wideyed:-super glue is probably the best option.
oh and what is the plant in the back left of the tank with the big leaves?
Indeed it is! It seemed like a good idea at the time - but I've regretted getting it for a number of reasons. It's really caused me issues with flow and the knock on effects that brings. It also restricts the variety of levels (well, just variety really) that I can have in the tank - the wood takes up so much space. I'm going to live with it for a year or so and then start from scratch. Hopefully in that time, I can learn from the mistakes I've made (and continue to make).

The plant on the left is an Amazon Sword.

Judging by those photos from TDI-Line, what I'm hoping to do is the art of the possible, but I'm feeling the pressure :lol:

Hopefully, the new plants will be with me on Tues / Wed, so I'll keep you posted.

Thanks ever so much for all the advice and suggestions :D

glenn said:
CeeBee said:
The plant on the left is an Amazon Sword.

:O i though it was amazon sword at first but the leaves looked way to big...especialy next to the wood :lol:

It's certainly an enthusiastic plant :D

Back