Attempt no.2 - aquascaping

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Adam E, 4 Dec 2019 at 5:32 PM.

1. Adam E

Adam E Newly Registered

Hello everyone, finally decided to crack on with my 2nd aquascape. Was a bit reluctant after my 1st catastrophe haha. 60ltr tank lasted about 3 months before everything died!

Bit of an unusual size tank to scape but it's the only one I had not in use :facepalm:. Its a Juwel Rio 180 I believe with twin t8 fluorescent lights currently housing 2 powerglo bulbs( will be upgrading to a fluvalsky 2.0 after Christmas is out the way.

I thought I'd start a journal as I'm expecting the worse:nailbiting: haha. This way one of you guys with a better knowledge of the hobby will guide me in the right direction. This is by no means a pro scape. If anything it's pretty amaturistic but I gave it my best.

Red lava rock as the hard scape. Westland organic topsoil as a base behind the rockd to build up as it was way cheaper than using aquatic soil. I topped this off with a mix of JBL proscape plant soil and colombo flora base pro. Finished off with a light silica sand foreground.

I bought plants and put them in a heated nursery tank as I new most would melt and wanted them todo this out of the big tank so i wouldn't have to spend so long picking out the dead bits

Plants list,
    Lobelia cardinalis dwarf
    Lobelia cardinalis wavy
    Pogostemon helferi
    Staurogyne repens
    Juncus repens - died in nursery tank after 1 week!
    Cryptocoryne undulatus kasselman
    Microsorum pteropus
    Hygrophila rosae australis
    Hygrophila lance
    Alternanthera rosafolia x2
    Echinodorus ozelot green/red cant remember which one as the tag fell out in the shop.

Lights currently on 10hrs a day.. I have 3 tanks plugged into an extension plug thats plugged into a timer from the wall so the light come in when the community tanks come on
    Injecting co2 via a fluval 95g pressurised co2 kit at about 3-4 bubbles per second. Turned on and off manually 1 hour before lights on and lights off.

Here's a pic of me playing around with the hardscape(dont worry the towel was removed....I think?):shh: haha. 20191102_193421.jpg 20191115_213930.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Adam E

Adam E Newly Registered

Few more pics of the build... 20191128_165529_001.jpg 20191128_225505.jpg 20191129_160018.jpg 20191129_160222.jpg 20191129_160252.jpg

3. Adam E

Adam E Newly Registered

And the almost finished piece. I want a nice big bushy plant at the back right ad theres a big empty space there but not sure what to put. I was thinking maybe some type of valisinaria or tall bushy aponogeton?? IMG_20191201_230541.jpg

Jules vH likes this.