• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Attempt no.2 - aquascaping

I don't think you can mix them as it causes something (experts?) to drop out of solution (if that's the right terminology?). I totally get the desire for it to be an easy job to just pump x number of pumps rather than measure out. I have the same approach - having reused pump bottles for the same purpose. Your post is causing me to ask the question though - if the Colombo is working, and the pump on the bottle is working for you to and its the same price - why switch??

The colombo doesn't contain iron. So to buy a bottle of fertiliser is 9.99. A bottle of iron is 9.99 and a bottle of liquid carbon is 9.99. Seachem do a trio for 13.99. I use the liquid carbon in a low tech tank. I have a lot of of alternanthera rosaefolia that's has really slowed down and Some lower leaves are turning yellow on a few different plants.

Also the alternanthera is more brown than pink. And my crypt which is supposed to be dark green/brown is more green than brown haha

The colombo doesn't contain iron.
I've used Colombo FloraGrow without issue, and as far as I know it does contain iron, along with all the other traces your plants need https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/colombo-floragrow-liquid-fertiliser-for-planted-aquariums

There's perhaps a danger you might be complicating things unnecessarily. Personally, I'd stick with an all in one fert, if cost is an issue use something like Aquaplantcare's powdered TNP+, a £2.99 sashay makes 500ml, mix it in a jug and decant in to your pump dispenser, easy...

I think it is advised to keep potassium phosphate and iron traces in separate solutions to prevent any reaction occurring that results in an insoluble precipitate of iron (III) phosphate; in short the iron won't be available for uptake by plants. That maybe why Seachem recommend dosing alternate days.

I've looked over your journal, and I think your CO2 flow and distribution also needs optimising. Are you using any other filtration or powerhead apart from the Juwel built in one? I'd also plant a lot more heavily, it will help give your tank more biological stability.

The other questions I have are :-
how/when do i trim my plants?
How do I trim moss so it weeps more?
Is this even weeping moss?(bought offline)
What do i do with my microsorum pteropus, it's not putting out any new leaves and the leave tips have started producing rhizomes leaves and roots. Will upload pics now
Trimming - depends on what look you hope to achieve, but normally when plants become too tall, or start to take over. If you want compact growth it's important to get the right balance between light, fertz and CO2 first. How to trim depends on the plant but take a look at James' Pruning - A general guide to plant maintenance.

Weeping moss - hard to tell if it is or isn't from your images but check out Tropica's. As for trimming, just trim it as and when required to the desired length, if conditions are good it'll grow back denser. Personally, I'd take what you have and retie it tight to the wood with nylon thread, it should grow a little more evenly.

Microsorum pteropus - it can be a temperamental plant, I don't think it does change very well, so stable conditions are required to get the best from it. And that brings me back to your CO2 flow and distribution.

Hi tim. Thanks for your reply. I will take a look over the trimming guide now. I personally wanted a more denser look. More bushy and less leggy. I was thinking of growing them out and trimming them and using the off cuts to replant to increase the overall bushy look rather than having to buy a load more plants. Plus I cant guarantee the shop wipp have the ones I want. It took me nearly 3 months to get the collection I've got now haha.

No i dont have any other power head installed....Only the ecoflow/bioflow600 ppwerhead that you place into the filter housing to create the filter.

Thanks for clearing that up. I will stick to using an all in one fertiliser. The reason I thought about changing is because some of my plants are showing yellow/brown patches and my darker brown and red plants dont seem to be growing as quickly and my hygrophila rosae should have pink leaves on the new growth but there just plain white and green

Back