• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ATTEMPTING to create a website

Another vote here for getting away from service providers like bigcartel...

get some hosting, and host the site yourself. You will have far more control over it, and I bet they don't do that much in terms of SEO for that amount of money. SEO is mainly about content, and links from other sites that google ranks well (like gumtree for instance). It is a seriously dark art....

I generally buy my domains from 123reg (really doesn't matter where you buy it - as long as you ONLY buy the domain) and have a hosting account with justhost, which is amazing value if you pay for 5 years in advance. Email set up is very easy from the hosting control panel - and there is no limit to the number of addresses per price like there sometimes is with the godaddys of the world.

Also - if you tie up capital in stock, that capital will no longer continue to work for you, and could actually decrease in value. Generally you are better off keeping that capital in the bank until you need the stock.

That's for that mate,

My problem with dumping bigcartel is that I NEED the 'pre made' site I can add my products too and that counts my stock displays when it's out of sale, easy to set up discount codes ect in a complete newb I couldnt even tell you what CSS or HTML stand for!

So buying 5 years if hosting is a little daunting.

Tha problem with stock is a sticky one, they won't supply my less than 1k of gear for a 1st order. I mat be able to lower it a little but I can't see them meeting me at 500 to be honest.
This is another pluss of bigcartel

It's as close to free as I can get and still display a website that works out stock count ect for me. So I'm displaying a few items that when the order details and mOney in my account I cn order the item and have it sent to them. The Margin is small buts it's something and upgrade to 5year plan and possibly having to pay someone to design and work out the whole shop system cart checkout all that,

No worries mate...

Just a FYI, in case you didn't know, pretty much every hosting package, includes easyish to use templates for a number of different CMS (Content Management) systems. It only gets trickier if you want to customise those templates. - I expect there is alot of similarity between the templates bigcartel can provide, and what a host can provide.

So with bigcartel, you pool your ordering power with others? that's clever...

I completely see where you are coming from though, and totally respect that.

Back