• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Auto Dosing EI with a dosing pump (diagram and calculations)

JamesC said:
paul.in.kendal said:
Interesting alternative suggested by Tom Barr - http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&sa ... a=N&tab=wf
Remember that the bottle has to be set up above the tank as it a gravity fed system.

James

And a IV type drip can be hung on a light bar like these:
60cuberesized2.jpg

Makes it easy to watch and adjust the rates of dosing.

I think this would do well if you like messing with NH4 dosing also, smaller metered dosing.
This assumes that the timers, drip rates and mechanical issues are good and nothign goes wrong and ends up dumping the entire contents into the aquarium all at once, this has occured a few times on client tanks over the years(not with NH4 though). Nothing bad occurred with 2 weeks worth of ferts other than some shrimp deaths, but many shrimp, about 50% made it.

Errors can be good teaching tools and good high toxicity test themselves.

If you have a sump, then the Drip can be added, Reef folks use these drip systems for Ca++ and Alk.

Regards,
Tom barr

Hi all.

Instead of aqua-medic pump you can use http://www.cheappetproducts.net/AQUA_LIFTER_SUCTION_PUMP__3GPH_-_Lift_height_30__-UKP47359.html. It costs 7.32. but shipping costs £25 (from Usa) I have ordered two + circulation pump and pay around £68. I wills set them on digital timer the pump does only 3GPH so setting it up should be no problem.

There is an alternative solution to I have found it in Poland http://projekty.qrz.pl/index.php?op...awozow-do-akwarium&catid=6:projekty&Itemid=10 its simple controller with 3 vw golf wiper motors from the controller you can set how many millilitres (1 is minimum) of solution you require to be added to your tank it has a build in clock/timer too. You can manually override dosing amount by press of the button. I have asked person who designed it - there is no English menu. The price is PLN399.00 which works out as 85.257128 bgp.
I can get hold of few if someone wish to get one.

Hope that helps.

If you look closely on the bottom far right you will see a gold coloured tab, this is for hard soldering the pump to wires.

daniel19831123 said:
Have anyone considered using this pump?

http://www.williamson-shop.co.uk/100-se ... 3586-p.asp

I've just look at the picture for the pump and I don't really understand how it connects to the DC supply. I'm never good with electrical stuff. Can anyone shed some light?

Just get one of these and then you don't have to mess about with anything, that's what I will be getting for myself soon:

http://www.stm-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Onli ... mps_7.html

Thanks A1matt for the link ;)

Re: Auto Dosing EI with a dosing pump (diagram and calculati

I used to use an SP3000 with my reef tank... It was useless and ended up in the bin...

Williamson I used to hear good things about, and Watson-Marlowe were the Rolls Royce of peri-pumps...

I used to use two peri-pumps that I believe were made for the industrial laundry... Bought them here: http://www.coralculture.co.uk/shop/prod ... ts_id=1105

The problem with the Aquamedic SP3000 can be easily fixed be placing a non-return valve before and after the pump to prevent it back flowing when the rollers are on the vertical position.

Aah! That might be just enough to get me to commission my unused SP3000 for autodosing, LD. Only problem is, how will I endure the ridicule from 'I do it all by hand' Saintly!

paul.in.kendal said:
Aah! That might be just enough to get me to commission my unused SP3000 for autodosing, LD. Only problem is, how will I endure the ridicule from 'I do it all by hand' Saintly!
Some people have too much time in their hands :p others prefer to leave it alone and just enjoy the tank :p

LondonDragon said:
paul.in.kendal said:
Some people have too much time in their hands :p others prefer to leave it alone and just enjoy the tank :p
Than again, if Saintly automated his tanks he'd have time for loads more and he'd COMPLETELY blow away the competition...

paul.in.kendal said:
Than again, if Saintly automated his tanks he'd have time for loads more and he'd COMPLETELY blow away the competition...
So true ;) lets hope he reconsiders then hehe shame my tank is in a spot where I cannot automate water changes, otherwise I would do that also.

LondonDragon said:
The problem with the Aquamedic SP3000 can be easily fixed be placing a non-return valve before and after the pump to prevent it back flowing when the rollers are on the vertical position.
I tried that... The problem in mine was the motor... After a few months of use it didn't have enough 'oomph' to compress the tubing any more, even after replacing it with a new one...

I have the same with my SP3000; the motor is just not quite up to the job.
I have found that if I coat the entire insides with grease it just about manages to get the rollers round.

Mine is still going strong and I got it second hand! I might invest on a new pump which has 4 rollers to be on the safe side! I like the automation and not having to worry about missing days or when I go away for a few days the tank takes care of itself and don't have to lower anything.

Just a quick update, after just over a month of start using my Aquamedic SP3000 dosing pump with the non return valves before and after the pump its working great, my tank is looking better than ever, so if you are going to use an SP3000 then get a couple of non return valves and place one before the pump and one afterwards, I also added one on the tube inside the bottle and also one close to the exit point in the tank. I test it once a week to ensure it is not blocked.

Nice idea this, as I work away quite often. Autodosing ferts will stop any fall back in my tank.
I'm currently 'winning' a peristaltic pump on ebay, but came across the idea of using volumetric infusion pump, as used in IV drips. Like this one. Looks tempting, and accurate.

Back