• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Autumn Sunrise (9th place in Nano category AAC 2009)

1_Autumn_Sunrise_800_by_600.jpg

1_Autumn_Sunrise_3_600_by_600.jpg

Hello fellow aquascapers

This is my contest scape, it is the first time i have entered a contest, so I am very pleased to have placed 9th in category. The idea behind this scape was maintainability, so i chose plants that could be easily pruned and would recover quickly thereafter. My inspiration came from watching the sun rise on the Dorset coast one autumn morning.

Aquascape title : Autumn Sunrise
Tank volume (liter) : 21 liters
Tank size (Length x width x height) : 36 x 22 x 26 cm

Plants :
Riccia fluitans, Rotala rotundifolia

Lightning :
Two 24 Watt cool white power compacts (over tank)
One 7 Watt warm white tulip bulb (backlight
For 10 hours per day

Fish & Invertebrates :
Nannostomus Beckfordi

Fertilization, CO2, Substrate :
Fertilization:
3/4ml Tropica plant nutrition+ and 3/4ml Tropica plant nutrition per day
CO2: One bubble per second for 11 hours per day
Substrate: Eco Complete and GEOsystems sand

Regards James

Wow, lovely, clean scape and brilliant interpretation. Congratulations and well earned mate. Thanks for sharing! :D I like the backlighting effect for the sunrise. What is the Riccia mounted on?

Cheers,

Thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated.
To answer your question about the Riccia, it is tied directly on to the metamorphic rocks with fishing line, however it was necessary to chisel small grooves in the rocks to hook the fishing line around, so that none of it was running over the bare parts of the rock.

Even without the well deserved competition result, I'd be chuffed to bits to have achieved a scape like that. It really does evoke an autumn sunrise feeling.

Thank you all very much for your kind comments.

SteveUK - the lighting is DIY, however I am a workshop technician with access to a fair bit of manufacturing equipment.

Mark - although the tank looked fairly good after only a couple of weeks, one of the main ideas behind this scape was long-term and easy maintainability. The pictures you see here were taken at two months old and the scape continued to mature for a further two months, at which point I got bored and rescaped. Can post some pictures at four months if you're interested.

Cheers James

Thanks for the compliments guys, they are much appreciated.

George - congratulations on your placements, I thought your nano iwagumi was absolutely stunning.

Paulo - I have a few ideas for next years contests, but I feel I may have peaked too early :D

Here is a pic of the scape at about 4 months

1_Autumn_Sunrise_4.jpg

Cheers James

Beautiful tank. The Riccia looks so poofy. I love it. Congratulations on your placement.

llj

Back