• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

B&W Cornish landscapes

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
These are my first attempts at some B&W landscape conversions. It's harder than I thought. I think I need some more dramatic skies perhaps?

Surf school in bad (or is it good?) weather
3782264202_d1950985de_o.jpg

Walkers near Mullion Cove
3782263748_ea245246cb_o.jpg

Farm gate at sunset
3781452193_04df12f9f5_o.jpg

Great captures George, love the two panoramic photos, the atmosphere is great in both :) and I like the last one very much, B&W did capture some great texture and fine detail on that last one, congrats :)

It sets a mood (for me), I feel cold just looking at them.

Don't get me wrong, I think that's an excellent achievement and therefore does what it's supposed to do. If I saw the same images in colour they would probably have the opposite effect.

Great work George!

I like the surfing pic most. It has a lot of interest in it.

I am glad I`m not the only one that photographs old wooden gates. Old doors with flaking paint are a favourite of mine, too. :geek:

Dave.

Hi George,I like the surfing one too,but to my eye they all look ok,
there is a special feature on how best to approach black and White pics in this months practical photograhpy magg,
regards john.

Thanks, guys!

The gate shot is ten exposures and HDR processed in Photomatix Pro before converting to B&W, hence the detail in the grass. I deliberately over-sharpened to try and get a real crisp look but it may be overdone for most tastes.

My favourite is the surfers, followed by the walkers (my eldest daughter and cousin). I'm entering a local photography contest held at at my village horticultural show and these two shots will form my B&W landscape entries, unless I get something better in the meantime.

Other categories include flora & fauna, action, b&w portrait, kids portrait, village life, sunset and sunrise, travel and holiday and a few more.

I'm entering all categories with two entries in each, so I'm hopeful for a good score! I was in Afghanistan during last year's show so have no idea of the standard, so it will be interesting whatever happens...

Back