• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Babies of all sizes

BarryH

From spotting my first baby when I tried to cut the Hairgrass back a few weeks ago, there are now babies of all sizes skittering around the tank.

Considering I only bought the Red Sakura shrimp to help clean up after the fish, I really enjoy having them and the fish have unfortunately taken a bit of a back seat. Can't wait to get the new, shrimp only tank started. Hope to be having "Blue Dream" shrimp when everything get back to normal. Whatever normal is nowadays.

49828672408_bc5a93f7da_k.jpg
Aquarium by Mike Swain, on Flickr

Out of interest are you target feeding the shrimp and if so what are you using?
Yes, I feed a small amount of GlasGarten Shrimp Baby daily and any one of the varieties of Dennerle Shrimp King. I bought a tub of Color and a pack of their 5 in 1. I alternate these every day so they are always getting a change. I got a 500mm long perspex tube on eBay and drop whatever I feed through that.

The only other stuff that goes in the tank is BacterAE and they get nettles as a treat once a week.

Yes, I feed a small amount of GlasGarten Shrimp Baby daily and any one of the varieties of Dennerle Shrimp King. I bought a tub of Color and a pack of their 5 in 1. I alternate these every day so they are always getting a change. I got a 500mm long perspex tube on eBay and drop whatever I feed through that.

The only other stuff that goes in the tank is BacterAE and they get nettles as a treat once a week.

Thanks. I need to source some nettles. I keep hearing how good they are

Nice and lush. Are the floater Amazon Frogbit and the tall hairy plant on the right some sort of moss? Just wonder how do you get enough light penetration to reach the hair grass with floater blocking?

Thanks. I need to source some nettles. I keep hearing how good they are
The shrimp really seem to enjoy munching on nettles and they are supposed to be very beneficial. Best of all they're FREE.

Only thing to be wary of is where you collect them from due to possible spraying and especially where dogs may have cocked their legs. Lots of serious keepers actually have nettle patches in their gardens just for feeding their shrimp. Others grow them in pots to stop them spreading to far.

Last edited:
Nice and lush. Are the floater Amazon Frogbit and the tall hairy plant on the right some sort of moss? Just wonder how do you get enough light penetration to reach the hair grass with floater blocking?
Amazon Frogbit as often recommended here on UKAPS. The bushy plant is Weeping Moss. Light does get through to the Hairgrass, the Frogbit is ready for a partial clear out, it does grow really quickly, I try a trim the roots back weekly.

Amazon Frogbit as often recommended here on UKAPS. The bushy plant is Weeping Moss. Light does get through to the Hairgrass, the Frogbit is ready for a partial clear out, it does grow really quickly, I try a trim the roots back weekly.
I actually like the cool look of the long roots. You can maintain an open area by making a floating air tube ring.

Back