• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Baby shrimp and cleaning

Ruskie

Exciting day today as I spotted my first baby shrimp!

D4B058B1-3475-49FA-90CA-7DF29B9213BD.jpeg

After spotting the initial one I’ve since found another 8! How many babies do RCS usually have? I only have 5 in the tank.

Anyway, tomorrow is my tank cleaning / water change day and I’m now a little nervous as these are my first babies.
Does anybody have any tips or methods as how to best go about cleaning without losing any shrimplets? They are flipping tiny and I’m scared of missing seeing them while cleaning and throwing the poor things out.

I asked the same question some months ago Ruskie and had a lot of great replies. I'll have a search for the thread and post a link to it when I can find it.

When you're hoovering the tank, most of the shrimp simply jump out of the way but I found it almost impossible not to have the odd one or two finish up in the bucket with the drained water. To help with this, and following one of the suggestions on here, I bought a couple of bright yellow buckets that made it so much easier to spot the babies in the bucket and rescue them.

I use white buckets and siphon into them, wait for the gunk to settle and suck them up with a turkey baister
Exactly what I do :D but I put a net in the bucket and then empty the net into a large flat surface tray, makes it easier to spot the newborns!

Back