• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Back in the Saddle' 90cm - 1 year on!

Hi Vito,
this is really starting to take shape now, with the hc visably filling in.
Pleased you seem to be over the melt.....onwards and upwards now....well horizontally may be better :D
Cheerio,
Ady.
Thank dude :)
A simple solution to injecting CO2 without reducing flow is just putting one of these pre-filter, injecting CO2 directly, and then using the filter as a diffuser. Obviously you need a non-return valve just before the T-piece to stop aquarium water going into your CO2 canister.
tpiece.tiff

Works great for me: crystal clear water, CO2 levels high, no flow reduction and no variation in CO2 rates you get as the UP diffusers get gradually blocked up. Never had a problem with the filter either. That way you can keep injection totally stable.
Hi Mike the image didnt upload and I am unfamiliar what equipment your talking about do you have a link as I am curious :)

Hi guys,

Update overdue, all is still going extremely well, I have all the lights on for 6 hours per day and still no sign of algae, however I have noticed the rocks getting a little green, nothing that a tooth brush and elbow grease wont cure. I will up the photo period by another hour on water change day. I trimmed the HM to shape it a bit and also to promote a thicker bush.
Without further a due, here are some pics.

dscf3323lo.jpg

dscf3324u.jpg

dscf3326z.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Tank is coming along nicely, filling in quickly too :) another 4-5 weeks and you need to rescape it ;)
Agree with Ed as it was pointed out when I tried my gumi, straight lines are a no no ;)

Keep up the good work and the updates :) :clap:

Hi,
Yeah I agree with Ed, its looking really purposeful and very nice In there. There is a bit of tenellus between the two left most rocks which is spreading forwards which softens the line of plants as Ed suggests but also softens the edges of the rocks which looks much more natural. A few more well placed clusters would help the transitions but still keep the strong hardscape focus. I can't wait to see it totally carpeted which I'm sure wont be long now :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

turning into real beauty now. cant believe noone commented since yesterday :)
my only advice would be to brake the straight horisontal lines of tenellus an hm by planting some of it more forward in few areas. :thumbup:
I do agree mate, to be honest I was trimming the runners that kept coming to the front but I will leave a few to break up the line :)
Thanks everyone for your kind words.
I had a little dilemma this morning when cleaning the filter, whilst moving the pipes one of the hoses popped off the up atomiser and a few litres of water shot out onto the floor, my god it was scary :)
Anyway thanks again for looking.

Looking good now man. Defo let some of the tennelus runners spread. I would plant some hm stems into the gaps around some of the large stones to envelop them a bit more and break the great wall of hm up a bit.
Keep the updates coming .

Hey guys, I stayed in this Saturday for a change and thought I would take a few shots of the tank

dscf3342m.jpg

dscf3349q.jpg

The increased photo period and CO2 have had a positive effect on growth, HC is growing a lot fast and I am letting some of the tenellus runners run wild ;)
The rocks are turning green which I suspect is due to the increased lighting, any tips for removing the green stuff? and I found a small amount of spirogyra which is easily removed but apart from that all is good.

Thanks for looking.

Looking good. I use small metal brushes, toothbrush is too gentle :D
Toothbrush is very good for brown diatoms and cleaning silicon in corners. It might work good on rock but probably you need to clean it very often. I find in my cases it does not work on rock :)

Hey guys, an update is overdue, I recently visited Budapest for a short weekend break and left the tank to fend for itself, when I came back I surprised at the growth especially in the HC but I did come back to a bit of an algae outbreak which I can only diagnose as green spot algae and it made the plants look dirty, this was clearly due to the increased lighting so I have gone back to a 5 hour photo period and I trimmed everything that was covered and scrubbed the rocks with an old tooth brush, I think I am going to have to invest in an electric one to reduce the work load ;)
So as I said before I gave it a trim, I've shaped the HM, and trimmed the tenellus slightly shorter to add depth, I also trimmed all the HC to even it out as it as bushier in some parts than others, anyway less chat more pics :)
dscf3355nz.jpg

dscf3359j.jpg

dscf3353e.jpg

That is filling in very nicely!:) Are you going to house any fauna?
Sorry for the late response, I will be but I don't know what to go for yet, I will take a trip to my local LFS and see what they got.
Thanks for looking.

Hey guys new update on the tank, things are looking much greener due to a little TLC, I still have all 4 lights on for 5 hours but I have the co2 come one 4 hours before as there is some natural light in the house which might be getting to the tank. I do get a surface film build up but and I know by raising the outflow to cause some water movement at the top will eradicate it but I am worried it will unstabilize the co2 levels, any opinions on this would be good as the white film is a little off putting. I am dosing 60ml Macro, 60ml trace and 30ml Special N alongside 10ml easycarbo, the reason for the increased ferts was because of the increased plant mass and also to take the slight bloom of algae I had whist I was away. Sadly I found another shrimp corpse 12 feet away from the tank, I doubt he crawled all that way, I suspect a draft blew him down the hallway and into the living room :(
Whilst doing a W/C today I cleaned the filter and was a bit heavy handed taking one of the suction cups off the inflow pipe and snapped it clean off, luckily I didn't crack the pipe so its still works great and even without the suction cup its holds in place really well, just goes to show how fragile they are and my god cleaning the inlet is a pain.
I am yet to purchase some fish, but I will once I am paid next week, a nice shoal of 20ish of something small but not too distracting.
Anyway some new pics, not a lot of growth as the photo period has been reduced from 7 hours to 5 but at least the algae is dying off :) I have added some close ups so you guy can see whats going on :)
dscf3362j.jpg

dscf3365ec.jpg

dscf3369sx.jpg

]
dscf3371k.jpg
]
dscf3373h.jpg

Thanks for looking

Back