• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Backgrounds

Played about in photoshop this morning (slow start to the day at work ;)). Not great, but you get the idea:

Sams_Tank_blue.jpg

Sams_Tank_orange.jpg

Sams_Tank_red.jpg

Also, the psd with background "trimmed" out onto a second layer is >>here<<

I've not touched the colour on the plants at all, simply colour balanced the background :) The blue seems to really give it punch, but I'm not sure I'd like it...

SteveUK said:
Thanks ;) Was a very quick thing. I like the blue too, cos it hides my dodgy photoshop chopping ;)
Nah its good enough, just to give people an idea ;) I am currently working on a natural background with my tank.
Tried some weeping moss that I got from Ed on a mesh and put it as a background on the tank and it looked pretty amazing when it grew in a couple of weeks, so last weekend redid it and doubled its size, will post some photos when it grows back ;)

Middle looks best to me, out of the three. Blue looks too artificial for my taste.

No background at all using the pale wall behind would work well.

For a final photo shoot, use a seperate light source to light up wall for a nice effect.

SteveUK said:
Played about in photoshop this morning (slow start to the day at work ;)).
Great minds think alike but you got there first damn you! ;)

Seeing as I've had a play too I might as well share...
2456695598_5564c0f1cf_o.jpg

2455867295_17295ba040_o.jpg

2456695952_a3b162d220_o.jpg

2456695856_3c99d04a76_o.jpg

2456695778_2196f942ba_o.jpg

2455866973_09241076bb_o.jpg

Generally I agree with George, I prefer the more neutral colours though I'd still be tempted to try a rusty red as I think it compliments nicely.

Playing around with lighting might be an option but you'd have to make sure the wall doesn't out shine the tank, but that may just be because I prefer a slightly darker background.

If anyone wants the PSD to play with then it'll be here until I need the space for something else :)

Steve - interestingly I did do a little editing to the foreground to remove the blue tinge, not sure that was a great idea as it was probably brought about by the lights but my artistic licence got the better of me ;)

I quite like the blue as it's a bit different, but prefer the beige one. Any stronger colours and then you start to lose the fish.

I'm going down to B&Q after work to get myself a piece of free wallpaper!

Glad everyone is having fun with my photo! :lol:

Thanks Steve and Egmel much appreciated and it saves me buying lots of pieces of card/paper!

I've got some black at home that I will try over the weekend. I really like how black makes the colours of the plants standout. I have a spare ballast too, so I could probably try rigging up a back-light for the wall. Will experiment.

Thanks again all for your comments, interesting thread this one :)

Sam

Themuleous said:
I've got some black at home that I will try over the weekend. I really like how black makes the colours of the plants standout.
Agreed, but I think the black won't do the wood any justice. With such a striking feature it seems a shame to choose a background which doesn't emphasise it.
I have a spare ballast too, so I could probably try rigging up a back-light for the wall. Will experiment.
What might be interesting is using a softer light (an old bulb works well) or a small spot light that comes from top right. (Ikea do some for about £1.50) That way you light behind the wood but not behind the plant mass on the left.

You're right this is an interesting thread. I'm only just getting into taking photos which aren't just point and shoot (really doesn't work with fish!) so the discussion about how to 'tart' up a tank specifically for a photo is all new!

Looking forward to seeing the next batch of photos! :D

Back