• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Backings

andy

Just looking through George's native set up with sticklebacks and wondered what the score was with the lack of background.

I might be a bit old fashioned but i've always had a black background (blue with marine) on my tanks which helps to set off the colours. I thought the stickleback tank was lovely but everything looked washed out due to lack of backing.

Is this a recent trend or just for the photography ? I've noticed a few stunning planted tanks on here which have been the same and just cried out for a background.

Comments !

Andy

tada....

black...

pencil3.jpg

blue....

returnofthered.jpg

blue....again

sky1.jpg

black...

2.jpg

nothing....
swampy.jpg

and nothing again....

3months.jpg

take your pick :D

I've got a peice of black card stuck to the wall with bluetack. It's probably not ideal for everyone, but it does the job for me. I used to stick backing from Aqua Essentials to the rear of the tank, but by doing it this way you get an extra sense of depth. ;)

Black Vinyl or BLue Vinyl on my Marine tanks, did try a mirror at one point but didnt like the effects

Steve

Hi Planters

There is a easy change method of using different backgrounds.
Use board/fridge magnets.
Available at a stationary outlet or Wilkinsons Uk
Break of the plastic put one in the aquarium corners and on over the backing add a couple along the top and bottom that's it.Obviously the bigger the tank the more you will need.
No more tape or silicone or mess.
Just ease of the magnets when you want to swap to some thing else.
hoggie

I agree a backing really finishes off a tank. I've used some oil type stuff which really makes them stick well, although I think olive oil/baby oil would do just as good a job for future reference :thumbup:
I have seen tanks with black bin liners as a backing which looks as effective as fish shop bought stuff.

Back