• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

bacopa australis

jay

have any of oyu out there had any experience with this plant?

page 20 of the tropica catalogue, it sounds like the perfect plant to me. like a large growing glosso or HC cushion.
not demanding of light, fast growing and undemanding...allegedly.

im just imagining an iwagumi set up wih this already.

I have this in my tank from Tropica, using as a background filler. Does grow very well and has lovely colouration when the plant gets nearer the surface.

DSC00249.jpg

:wideyed: yeh i see it. just looks so different to whats in the tropica catalogue and ive never seen it
in any planted tanks before so never knew what it looked like after growing submersed leaves.

beautiful.

can just imagine that at the back of my tank with the helferi and balansae.
wonder if ive enough light for it to go orange.... just gota try it i suppose. can't wait now.

thanks. :D

Give it a go Jay, i've tried quite a few different plants now, and it's quite surprising which ones do well, and which ones don't.

I'll be starting another Journal soon, so will get some better pics then. :D

I did start with this plant as midground, as it seemed slow to grow, but after a few months it has really settled in.

Are you sure thats bacopa australis, sorry but looks like Rotala rotundifolia to me. :?:
When i have had bacopa australis before it has always had round green leaves and never reached the surface due to the fact it gets so top heavy and bushy that it falls back to the substrate.

This is how it as looked when i have had it

http://www.pbase.com/plantella/image/53612558

thought it did look like rotala to, but i did some searching last night and it seems like aquarium conditions can
affect its look somewhat.
tropica says it can develop reddish leaves in the right light but i do like the green to it. very light.guess the only thing to do is buy a load of it!
if that is rotala in TDI's tank, then im getting that too.

It looks a lot like R. rotundifolia to me, too.

Dave.

Umm, lol.

Maybe i got the plants mixed up. :lol: It does look like R. rotundifolia, but i don't recall buying that one. :oops:

I'll get George to have a look in the near future. :D

Well I got the Bacopa australis, and I think its safe to say that the plant in TDI's picture is Rotala :)

Bacopa is looking really nice, so vibrant! You can probably see it in my thread on the tank gallery forum. Just a couple of pots for now, but I can see me getting a few more to make a nice cushion framing the scape.
Thanks for the input guys.

Oh, and I think I'm going to go for some Rotundifolia too after seeing that pic. Happy mistake :)

Nice one Jay.

I found an older pic from before the re-scape, it grew very well, and became very thick as i kept lopping the tops off. :oops:

Enjoy.

DSC00094.jpg

And if it's not Bacopa Australis then :lol: .

That looks more like it :)

Yeah I'm planning on hacking into it regularly to try and make a nice cushion
Is that Hemianthus micranthemoides(spl?) in the front?

Love that plant. Tried growing it a while ago but I don't think my specs did it any justice.
I'll stick to the Bacopa.

Yep, that is HM.

One of my favourite plants, but grows very fast and wild, and needs cutting and re-planting for best results. Basically i'm lazy. :D

TDI-line said:
Sure is.

You may be able to click on the pic to get a bigger version.

I came, I saw, I clicked and got a smaller version :(

Nice tank though, I think is the first time I have seen one of yours. I like the space you have got with the length available to you. And the "whatever it is" looks really nice too!!

Cheers,

Steve.

TDI-line said:
Yep, that is HM.

One of my favourite plants, but grows very fast and wild, and needs cutting and re-planting for best results. Basically i'm lazy. :D

How do you find is the est way to plant HM?
I usually get off almost all the wool from my pots but back when I got HM, I was still new to this (still am fairly)and the roots seemed too delicate to try get rid of all the wool.
Think I've got adequate lighting (grown alternathera reinekii before in my tank) and I've clued up on nutrient regime so wouldn't mind going for it again.

Cheers Steve. ;) There is an old journal somewhere round here.....

Jay, i cut the plant wool into four pieces with the roots in, then planted. And then when it had grown, i did use to cut the plant back, but found it was very slow growing back. Then later after reading on here, found that it was best to re-root the plant cut the plant in half, then re-plant the new bunch. I never plant individual stems, just a good bunch, and there are soo many, and roughly put them back with aqua tweezers. :D

Back