• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bad back and carrying 25L contaners-Options?

Making RO outside in the winter? :eek:

No idea how far you are wanting to go, spend or other details so I'll just give you a scenario on what I could execute here with relative ease and possibly work around things you've said so far:
I have a cold water storage tank in my loft as part of my heating system so have water and could quite easily add another for the RO unit to fill on a float switch, below the storage tank is the airing cupboard and I could quite easily drill another hole through the ceiling so RO water from the storage tank was quite literally on tap in the airing cupboard, connect a hose adapter onto the tap and you now have RO at height which could be delivered directly to your aquarium through a hose- If you could get permission for something like this or would work is very much a different matter.

I have a tap adapter on order so hopefully can do it indoors. Unfortunately now have a combi boiler so no storage upstairs, bu got me thinking about installing the RO unit next to boiler!

Just be mindful of condensation. ROs go through a huge amount of water and in the winter you're going to get a fair amount of condensation build up on the unit itself and any holding container for product

My very first RO unit was a small piggy back one which I naively installed under my kitchen sink. In the winter the condensation was ridiculous and I ended up putting it in a bowl to collect it all. That then made the kitchen unit itself mouldy

Later I just kept mind in the garage

I have a bad back and carrying the 25l

I too have back problems. I use three 10 gal builders buckets. Half fill them with rain water at 2gals a go with a bucket, them run a hosepipe from the hot water supply to fill the 10 gal buckets. A small pond pump to transfer the blended water into the fish tank. While I am filling the big buckets the fish tank water is being pumped via the canister filter outlet onto the lawn or flower beds. (no need to worry about a siphon slipping or critters being sucked into the pipe.) Temp is judged by hand. Used to pump rain water but in the winter the plastic hosepipe is a tad hard. A stretchy hose requires too high a water pressure to expand for my pond pump to deliver a decent flow. eBay is stuffed with affordable small water pumps.
Hope this is of some help and that your back gets better.

Hi, I use RO cut with tap, I have my RO storage barrels in the garden and I change 70-120L at a time (50/50 - 60/40 RO/Tap).

• I have 2 barrels: 1 x 60L and 1 x 120L. I fill the 60L to the brim with RO, after I do my water change, so it's ready for the next week.
  • I have 1 x 1200LPH pump from allpondsupplies, when it comes to water change time and pump the 60L barrel containing RO into the empty 120L.
  • I then use a 10L bucker or hose from the hot tap to mix hot tap water into the RO, I monitor temp until it about right and then fill the barrel to around 90% and add Prime.
*While the above is happening I'm normally draining the tank.
*You don't really need the 60L barrel, but I use that to "measure" out the correct amount of RO (the barrels are not see-through).

I now have around 110L or dechlorinate RO/Tap up to temp, I then stick a hose to the water pump, put the pump in barrel and pump directly into tank. I use an old external filter inflow pipe to keep the hose in-place.

In this way I can change 100L of RO/Tap in <45min with NO lifting at all.

I need to pick up a nice big storage container somewhere- they seem to cost a fortune new!

I need to pick up a nice big storage container somewhere- they seem to cost a fortune new!

Just use a garden rain water butt. They are not food grade plastic but in all the years I used one to hold RO for marines I never had a problem. You can easily drill them as well and fit a ballcock type thing to auto shut off the product water once it is full. You can also buy a cool little device that then under pressure turns off the mains to the RO unit itself - see link. This is the place I used to buy all my RO stuff from

https://www.ro-man.com/shop/accessories-and-extras/auto-shut-off-kit.html

I bought 2 of the 120L- more than I need- but can have one in garage full in case of emergencies- like I end up in pub.

Would a sack barrow work to help lift the 25 litre containers from outside to inside. Smaller footprint than a trolley and often the base folds up for storage.

Failing this, large container. Fill up with RO outside, at water change time top up the RO container with hot tap water and pump to the tank.

I had exactly the same concern its extremely easily fixed buy smaller containers I ended up using 15lt then finally 10ly containers.

In the end age and my old back won next step I sold every thing now I have 3 terrascapes I use a 1lt watering can now and no back problems at all.

Keith:wave::greenfinger:

So last weekend I tried my solution which seems to work.
Friday evening, Bring 120 litre barrel into through room at opposite end to tank. Fill with RO through slightly open window. Remineralize with tap and bring to temp.
On Saturday I drain water from tank via the extra outlet on FX4. Run length of hosepipe to barrel and use FX4 to pump back in.
It would be fair to say Mrs C is not entirely happy but I dont have to lift anything!

Last edited:
Back