• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bad snail or good snail?

creg

Should I remove him?

976ebc348d.jpg

It's a Ramshorn Him/Her, so have both sexes, tho it still needs a partner to mate but most likely already threw some eggs around. They are not realy harmfull live from dead plant material, other debri and or dead critters.. Seldomly eat from healthy living plants, they must be starving for that.. Actualy they are quite usefull in that perspective they contribute a lot to a happy ecosystem.. But as said they are pretty fertile and can become a nuicance if numbers get out of control. Having some fish known to have snail eggs on their diet can keep them at bay. Depending on the size of the tank, you can keep fish eating young snails, like Botia seems to do that. But these need a rather large tank.

So if you suspect that it will become an out of control nuicance you could take it out.. But probably already will be to late and taking out one doesn't realy make a differnce.

I have them too :) and imo each tank should have snails.. But thats a matter of taste i guess.

Oh, might add, if you have soft water and are adding co2 than the water will be soft and slightly acidic. That's not the ideal snail habitat and probably will not produce that much ofspring might even not survive for very long itself.

Last edited:
As per Zozo. You can remove him but it's already too late. If you do g like them, add some Pakistani or yoyo loaches who will probably eat them. Even then, they can certainly return.

I once had a load of these snails. Their population spiked and I had hundreds. But over time it just decreased. Now I have them but a small amount that I can see. Like others have said they contribute towards a healthy aquarium. So I would just let it be.

also sometimes they float around on the surface eating the biofilm haha doing circles for hours on end.

Back