• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Balancing aquarium

Nikola

Hi all,

I'm setting the flow in my aquarium right now.
Filter - Eheim Experience 350 (1050 l/h), using lily pipe for outlet.
I hope that it has decent flow and surface agitation but I'm not completely sure. My aquarium is 80cm X 35cm X 40cm
I made a short video so if u can see and tell me is it good, or should I change something.

@ceg4048 I mentioned to u in previous post that I was putting glass lily pipe to adjust my flow a little so if u would have time to watch the video would be so good to hear your opinion.

Hi @Nikola

Firstly, your tank layout looks really nice! And the water surface is like a mirror.

I notice that you have a lot of surface agitation so you will be losing a lot of CO2 as a result. What bubble rate did you settle with? It's useful to compare as my main tank is much the same size as yours but you will remember from previously that I run the CO2 injection rate at approximately one tenth of your setup. Perhaps you have a large cylinder but I'm uncomfortable losing a lot of CO2 at the surface. It's such a waste.

The flow throughout the tank looks good in that your plants are gently swaying. Have you checked that the flow rate is OK for your fish? A good place to look would be on:

https://seriouslyfish.com

https://www.fishbase.de/search.php

JPC :)

Hi @jaypeecee

Firstly, your tank layout looks really nice! And the water surface is like a mirror.

Thanks a lot!
Surface wasn't like a mirror until I made surface skimmer, this thing keeps it so clean.

I have 3.5kg cylinder and here refiling cost around 8 bucks so I don't really care for that.

I'm using 8 bps right now, before CO2 my ph is 7.8 and one and a half hour later is 6.8 and stays like that trough whole light period. That was test from today cause I'm still adjusting bps and surface agitation.
My goal with high bps and surface agitation is that i can have nice flat line of CO2 ppm during light period. So as fast as it can to rise up and stays there.
I have one thing that confuses me here:

my KH is 11 right now
By PH KH chart on 6.8PH and 11KH I would have 53ppm of CO2?!
My fishes are very active and eating good, nothing wrong with them, even some snails that I have are not going to the surface.
And my drop checker is nice lime green color, so not yellow. I think this chart is just for some reference, not totally correct.
I'm even thinking to carefully try tomorrow with 9bps and follow the situation.

Hi @Nikola
The flow throughout the tank looks good in that your plants are gently swaying. Have you checked that the flow rate is OK for your fish?

This is tricky little bit. My fishes by specs love calm water without strong flow. But in aquarium is a lot of space with nice gentle flow, and still I can see them from time to time swimming directly towards lily pipe, seems like they enjoy it.
Maybe u or someone can tell me more about this from experience. I have red eye tetras and silver tip tetras.

Cheers :)

One more question,

U can see alternanthera reineckii mini on video.
It started growing new immersed leaves but when those emersed die off they will look tall, I mean they will not look bushy right from the substrate.
This is my first time having them (actually first time having all of this :D ) so maybe someone have advice how to help them in their transition, how to trim them to look nice after a while.

You’ll need to trim and replant the tops of the Alternanthera, the cut planted root may grow new growth if it’s established but may struggle initially if it’s a new planting, you can let the cut top trimmings float at the surface of the tank for a few days until you see root production (always does this) if they already have aerial side roots on the stem you can plant immediately.

This is tricky little bit. My fishes by specs love calm water without strong flow. But in aquarium is a lot of space with nice gentle flow, and still I can see them from time to time swimming directly towards lily pipe, seems like they enjoy it.
A lot of fish that like slow or still water will sometimes visit an area of faster flow, and yes, they seem to enjoy it. The important thing is that they can choose when they do it, and can return to slow-moving water when they want to.

Thanks @X3NiTH then I will let them for a while to root nicely and do it.

A lot of fish that like slow or still water will sometimes visit an area of faster flow, and yes, they seem to enjoy it. The important thing is that they can choose when they do it, and can return to slow-moving water when they want to.

That's great to hear, they have slow current parts so they will be happy.

Thank u @Roland, hope that Monte Carlo will soon start growing normally and make nice carpet together with Hair Grass.

I wanna say that this forum is great and all of u people are very helpful, I'm learning a lot every day.

By PH KH chart on 6.8PH and 11KH I would have 53ppm of CO2?!

Hi @Nikola

As you will know, the pH/KH/CO2 table is not perfect. But, how are you measuring pH and KH? If you are using a pH meter, who is the manufacturer and what is its model number? Has it been calibrated? If you are using test kits for pH and KH, who is the manufacturer/supplier?

JPC

Hi @Nikola

As you will know, the pH/KH/CO2 table is not perfect. But, how are you measuring pH and KH? If you are using a pH meter, who is the manufacturer and what is its model number? Has it been calibrated? If you are using test kits for pH and KH, who is the manufacturer/supplier?

JPC

Yeah, I’m using ph pen, it’s cheap model, ATC. It came calibrated, but I still did it again. Before use I always test it first in solution 6,86 and 4,01. And for KH is jbl drop test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back