• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
I don't think low light kills hc. I had it under a 15watt t8 before I joined this forum. While it didn't grow much it stayed green and healthy looking and that was in eco complete with no ferts.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I don't think low light kills hc. I had it under a 15watt t8 before I joined this forum. While it didn't grow much it stayed green and healthy looking and that was in eco complete with no ferts.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ok I'll knock it right down and see how it goes.

My new reg has arrived today so hopefully I can control the co2 a little better.

New regulator is now installed which is enabling me to control the CO2 better but my diffusers have started letting bigger bubbles out which means even if I turn the CO2 up im not getting any more benefit because most of it is shooting to the surface and being lost to atmosphere.

Is there a way of improving a diffusers bubble size? I think I heard someone using sand paper over the surface of the ceramic disk once??

Foreground plants still brown on the old leaves, absolutly no change to that whatsoever, the new shoots are ok but its the low bits that make the tank look awful.

Clean if in bleach solution mate. Its got all clogged up with lime and the such. Get another so you can rotate them :) well that's what I do at least.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

I have been rotating an bleaching. Im thinking the reason the holes have opened up is when my old reg was a bit unstable and sometimes blasted high flows through it when I tried to make an adjustment.

Just when I thought things couldnt get much worse, I smashed my glass inlet this morning trying to clean it with a flexi brush! Now I have an old plastic spray bar :mad:

Mate this is a real shame but I find j get much better flow with a spray bar and have opted to use one over my gUSH and TMC lily pipes, maybe it will work out in your favour :)

Sounds like its time for a new diffuser if its not a replaceable disk

Looks like co2 is not reaching the carpeting plants.

I did wonder... It looks more like HM that HC :D in which case it will grow up. I have found it to be a hard plant to grow nicely

Video Journal Type Update... Because I couldnt be bothered to type a list of all the reasons I hate my tank

Ignore the Glass Diffuser in the top right, its currently being used as a basket for some abandoned shrimp eggs!

And I mean Glass outlet not Inlet, and also the tank is 45 wide not 30....surprising what you forget when on the spot!

Last edited:
Hi Richard
Good summary, just a shame for you the issue continues.
I have a very similar set up to you, and the main things i did different.
Lower lighting, both in terms of duration and intensity.
An abundance of stem plants, and floating plants. Thinned out gradually,as tank matured.
Shrimps and ottos.
I use a full length spray bar, along the back, two ins below the surface, pointing slightly down, but my diffuser is placed under it, in the centre.

Hi Richard
Good summary, just a shame for you the issue continues.
I have a very similar set up to you, and the main things i did different.
Lower lighting, both in terms of duration and intensity.
An abundance of stem plants, and floating plants. Thinned out gradually,as tank matured.
Shrimps and ottos.
I use a full length spray bar, along the back, two ins below the surface, pointing slightly down, but my diffuser is placed under it, in the centre.

Thanks for your reply

What intensity and time is your light please?

I was thinking about doing exactly that with my spray bar. I'll give it a go.

Do you not have any surface agitation then?

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply

What intensity and time is your light please?

I was thinking about doing exactly that with my spray bar. I'll give it a go.

Do you not have any surface agitation then?

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Hi.
When i started.
Lights running at 40%, on for 6 hours in total, of which was 30mins ramp up and 30 mins ramp down
Even now im only on 75% for a total of 7hrs, and 1BPS

I think more surface movement, rather than agitation. Hopefully making better use of the CO2.

Have a look at my tank, link below.

Incidentally i pretty well used all 1-2 grow plants. best thing i did, and i know others on the forum have been pleased with them.
The speed they took off.......amazing.
If your plants are really struggling to recover,I would probably replace them with healthy ones, which will hopefully respond quickly, now your tank has matured.

Incidentally, keep trying, you will get there.

I decided to do a three day blackout. And my to my surprise, the tank now looks good as new. Im starting to think that CO2 during my photoperiod is not the problem. I think Ambient light may be my problem during the day time. I have a light living room with yellow blinds and although light doesnt hit the tank I think it may be enough for plants and algae to photosynthesize.

Anyway, It looks like this blackout has saved my tank for the time being. We shall see what happens now

IMG_0202.jpg

Hi all,
Its still annoying that it looks like I have no fish, surprisingly there are 20 cardinals, 2 ottos and shrimp in there! Hiding all day wasnt what I had in mind!
That is because they are small fish and it is an iwagumi. They are hiding because they are in a bare environment, the water is clear and that is a dangerous situation for small back water fish. There is some more comment here: <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/60p-iwagumi-mountain-scape.29806/page-2>.

The fish don't know they are in a tank and safe from birds etc. If they were out in the open more it would only be because they didn't have anywhere to hide, either situation is stressful.

You can see the same thing with shoaling fish, they only shoal tightly in stressful conditions.

If you want the fish out and about you need to add some more cover, the more cover you add, the more you will see them. If they are really happy, they will stop hiding and shoaling and start to roam around the tanks in ones and twos.

Cheers Darrel

Back