• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

barbula sp. millimeter moss

Hi Louis,

We have several samples of Barbula which we are growing emerged in high humidity on bog wood pieces .

Tropica supplied us with these "rarities" and we have it from them that this species can be grown immersed.

It is a very intense green in colour with a beautiful compact growth pattern, it is certainly growing on us.

It does not feature on our website as we treat it as an in store surprise but PM or phone if you are interested.

Best regards,

Mark and Jim.

There are 49 species of barbula recorded here in India. Almost all are purely terrestrial. Some which are said to be aquatic are either hard to find or hard to id. So they all have to be tested and tried.

Sent from my Panasonic P11

I very rarely check ukaps these days, maybe once every few months so it was quite a coincidence that I saw this thread revived from so long ago at the top of the page tonight. In the end I bought some of this moss, I think from the green machine, and it does grow very well submersed with co2.
You need to be quite strict with trimming it otherwise it can get a little stringy but it's well worth it purely because it looks so much like a terrestrial moss in its mounding growth habit.
I don't have any growing submersed right now as I'm about to get a new aquarium after my flatmate smashed my planted tank but it's also flourishing in my emersed growing terrarium alongside some mini fissidens and looks much the same emersed as it does submersed. Surprisingly it actually seems to grow faster submerged even though all the evidence points to it being a terrestrial moss.

Back