• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BBA and low light!

Cactusface

Hi,
For the last 2 years or so I have been fighting a battle with BBA! I've tried bleach and H202 to no avail.
Yesterday I tried again, soaked my rocks in a bleach-water mix, pulled my plants to bits, getting rid of all those ugly
black leaves, cleaned the filter, etc.

Gave up on Co2, but hope to try again, some say not enough Co2 can cause BBA too!

But last night after the wife had gone to bed and switched the room light off, and I switched the TV off, in the complete darkness,
I noticed a glow from the tank, a RIO180-LED. The tank lights go off at 10pm, it was now about 11.30pm has the water
level was lower then normal, I could see the LEDS dimly glowing.

This tank has a digital timer which perhaps uses a Triac as an electronic switch, but perhaps a small leakage current
is still driving the LEDS as they need little current to just glow.

I don't know that much about algae, but I'm sure I read that some types will live and flourish well in consistant very low
light levels. Could this be the problem? I'm today going to change to a mechanical timer from another tank, and check how
that works. My RIO125 uses the same timer, but this is an older RIO with T5 lighting and so no problem!

Lights are on 9-10am & 5-10pm, is 6 hours ment to be about right?
This morning the BBA is looking very GRAY! as I have returned my rocks, wood and plants to the tank.

Any comments please, more later...

Mel.

Attachments

• Rio180timer-1.jpg
    Rio180timer-1.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 181
  • Rio180timer-2.jpg
    Rio180timer-2.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 139
Back