BBA delayed reaction to CO2 issues

Discussion in 'Algae' started by igirisujin, 25 Mar 2020.

1. igirisujin

igirisujin Member

Hello,

I said in my journal that I have had some issues keeping the CO2 injection rate stable in my 25cm. I think I've fixed the problem now by adding another needle valve. Whereas previously the bubble rate seemed to gradually creep up until I reset it (hence unstable), now it keeps a steady one bubble per 2-3 seconds.

I'm now seeing BBA appear on my hardscape and Anubias leaves. I would like to determine whether the cause of this BBA was this unstable CO2, or another issue. Therefore, I'd like to ask a couple of questions.

1. Is there much of a delay between a given CO2 issue and the appearance of BBA/CO2-related algae? If so, is it possible to estimate how long after the issue this algae may appear?

2. Scrubbing with a brush is not a good option given the delicate nature of the hardscape (next time I will use glue or putty!), and given the lack of availability of liquid carbon in Japan, would you expect BBA to disappear by itself once the cause is rectified?

2. Bryce

Bryce Member

I could be wrong here but I believe bba usually comes from plants driftwood etc that you bring into your tank from another tank that had it or spores from it. I read that somewhere before. If you get plants that were growing submersed in another tank your supposed to soak them in like a 19:1 ratio of bleach water to kill everything off. I often wondered if you had all tissue culture plants and sterile driftwood would it be impossible to get bba? I don’t know the answer. The few outbreaks of it I had were soon after introducing plants that came from my lfs. I removed all the plants and wood infected and used H2o2. It’s a real pain to get rid of naturally, I go nuclear on it.