• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BBA disappeared over night?

Steveb7

I keep getting a few small patches of BBA on a piece of driftwood every now and again but changed a few things after some advice on here and it started to go.A spot of BBA around 6/7cm in length came back over a few days but then this morning there is a tiny piece around 1cm left.it has just gone.thing is, I've not done anything to it .Does it just disappeared or slowly die off? I have Amanos and nerites in the tank , could these if taken care of it?

I keep getting a few small patches of BBA on a piece of driftwood every now and again but changed a few things after some advice on here and it started to go.A spot of BBA around 6/7cm in length came back over a few days but then this morning there is a tiny piece around 1cm left.it has just gone.thing is, I've not done anything to it .Does it just disappeared or slowly die off? I have Amanos and nerites in the tank , could these if taken care of it?

No - reading through one of your previous thread https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/algae-identification.58371/ you have altered your lighting period, changes to Co2 and the algae has gone. Excessive ligthing is the route of all evil algae.

I had a diatoms issue for years and it disappeared within a week - all I did was change from 11watt 6500K to 7 watt 4000K CFL tubes.

Paul.

Hi all,
Does it just disappeared or slowly die off?
It can detach. They have quite a <"complex life cycle"> with alternation of generations between tetrasporophyte and gametophyte stages, and separate sexes. I can't remember which way around it goes, but the obvious BBA is one generation. Have a look at <"Low energy, Water Changes......"> it will be in that thread or the <"longer one"> linked earlier in the post.
I have Amanos and nerites in the tank , could these if taken care of it?
The shrimps might have had a go at it.

I've never tried Nerites (I use rain-water) but they don't seem a likely option. Red Ramshorn snails remove it over time, I assume by grazing off the tufts when they are still really small.

cheers Darrel

No - reading through one of your previous thread https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/algae-identification.58371/ you have altered your lighting period, changes to Co2 and the algae has gone. Excessive ligthing is the route of all evil algae.

I had a diatoms issue for years and it disappeared within a week - all I did was change from 11watt 6500K to 7 watt 4000K CFL tubes.

Paul.
Yeah just from previous advice but I had kept everything else the same, so was a bit surprised it had just gone apart from a tiny piece overnight.

Last edited:
Back