• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BBA.....help

Chill2

Seedling
D1B51D46-F128-4BA0-8EBE-05A30F4BCA84.jpeg
Hi all

1st time post so please be gentle ☺️

So... I’ve had my tank for a couple years and been trying plants for around 6-8 months. Really struggling with BBA and holes in my amazon sword. I’m trying low tech with regular (weekly) water changes of 50%. Don’t dose anything in there. Done the seachem excel concentrated to a specific area for a week with no luck.

Can anyone help a very novice hobbyist out?

Attachments

• 8722E1BF-E045-4D2E-B662-6E0FB4E5E054.jpeg
    8722E1BF-E045-4D2E-B662-6E0FB4E5E054.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 202
View attachment 119865
Hi all

1st time post so please be gentle

So... I’ve had my tank for a couple years and been trying plants for around 6-8 months. Really struggling with BBA and holes in my amazon sword. I’m trying low tech with regular (weekly) water changes of 50%. Don’t dose anything in there. Done the seachem excel concentrated to a specific area for a week with no luck.

Can anyone help a very novice hobbyist out?

Hi and welcome, I’m a newby to the site myself. How long is your lighting period?.. I had a really bad BBA outbreak a year or so ago. I stripped my tank, scrubbed decor and glass and removed any leaves (whole plants if they were too far gone) I also reduced my lighting period to 6 hours. Since then I have started injecting Co2 and very slowly increased my lighting up to 10hrs. Touch wood the BBA hasn’t come back ... do you have plenty of flow in your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.

Lights are on 8 hours a day. Looking at my pics Thayer were taken tonight I think I need to completely strip down and start again. Any idea of the holes in the amazon sword?
Don’t really want to go the co2 route as it’s a bit pricey?

Thanks for the reply.

Lights are on 8 hours a day. Looking at my pics Thayer were taken tonight I think I need to completely strip down and start again. Any idea of the holes in the amazon sword?
Don’t really want to go the co2 route as it’s a bit pricey?

The holes in swords are more than likely a Co2/nutrient deficiency. I was apprehensive about Co2 due to cost too but, I have gone down the route of using a 2kg fire extinguisher. My regulator with built in solenoid and bubble counter cost in the region of 35/40 pounds from eBay, the fire extinguisher was £23 brand new, again from eBay (I bought 2 so I’m never without) and diffuser, check valve and Co2 tubing were another £20 maximum. In my opinion it’s well worth the outlay... oh and a good liquid fertiliser....

Is it safe to use a fire extinguisher?

Lol yes... you could ask is it safe to use compressed Co2 at all... as long as you follow the instructions/guides on this and many other forums it’s just a cost effective way of adding Co2 to our aquariums. The aquarium specific regulators for sale on eBay/amazon screw directly on to the extinguisher. There will be plenty of info on here.

Ha ha thanks for this. Will see what Santa brings me that 2kg bottle lasts a while? Will be looking into other threads on this definitely as it’s only a 200 litre so hoping for a few month of usage

Ha ha thanks for this. Will see what Santa brings me that 2kg bottle lasts a while? Will be looking into other threads on this definitely as it’s only a 200 litre so hoping for a few month of usage

Some say up to 6 months but not sure on how heavily planted their tanks are. I’m still on my first extinguisher and it’s been running about 6/7 weeks now. You will also need a drop checker to monitor the amount of Co2 in your aquarium, again about £10-£15...

Mines only a 100l but will be upgrading to a 250 in the new year.

I would start feeding the plants with macro and micro ferlilizers, hard to grow without feeding. You can use dry salts or use one of the all in one solutions
I would start with this before starting with CO2.

I’ll give it a go, do the veg wafer things but I’ll go with some veg. Slightly boiled or just raw?

Ferropol isn't a complete fertiliser, no N or P... if you have decent fish stocking though this should be ok. Something like the aquascaper complete liquid plant food contains everything you need, but I dose it half and half with Ferropol to avoid increasing nitrate too much as my tanks are fairly well stocked.

Back