• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BBA in specific part of the tank

timseren

So while the aquascape was quite young, it had various sorts of algae but all went as they came. However recently noticed something quite concerning. BBA started to appear rapidly, but on quite specific location in the tank - near and around CO2 diffuser (Twinstar) bottom right. Planning to cut all damaged leaves down (this should also increase new growth I hope) but thinking that Co2 method could not be correct as this algae seem to thrive in co2 related problems - maybe this diffusor is not correct for the setup?

BBA is mainly on Lilaeopsis around Twinstar and on Cypherus Helferi (quite new plant).

Attachments

• IMG_3212.jpg
    IMG_3212.jpg
    15.3 MB · Views: 432
  • IMG_3213.jpg
    IMG_3213.jpg
    14.5 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3211.jpg
    IMG_3211.jpg
    13.5 MB · Views: 112
What's your light and CO2 levels? Was the Lilaeopsis healthy on that part of the tank before the appearance of BBA?
I think you have a flow pattern problem. Water kind of stagnates when reaching the right side due to wood and plants obstructing flow, this in return cause organic accumulation on that side. You could also have a CO2 build up on that corner.
When you do maintenance, I recommend you to trim anything that has BBA on it. Never let that algae get hold because it deteriorates the plant's health by blocking light and you are then forced to trim the infected plant. On hardcapse spray some hydrogen peroxide while tank is partially empty of water.

Light is set to 50% (Twinstar SM III) so quite low, CO2 is quite constant yellowish green drop checker. I also suspect flow problem, but turning on the skimmer and leaving would make co2 levels fluctuate, so I use it sparingly. CO2 build up is also a possibility, so will try to install inline CO2 diffuser.

Thank you for all insights and tips @Hanuman !

CO2 is quite constant yellowish green drop checker.
Do you open your CO2 1 or 2 hours before lights on? If not then do that. Else, check that you have a good 1PH drop between degassed water (just before CO2 goes on) and say 1 to 2 hours after (say just when light go on).

but turning on the skimmer and leaving would make co2 levels fluctuate
Nope. No reason to turn that off. You want a clean water surface at all times to promote an effective gaseous exchange. Personally I don't understand why people like to turn it on an off. Makes no sense to me other than wanting to save a few dollars a year. It's like a filter, do you turn it on an off? Same applies here. But I won't judge you though, I used to that years ago and honestly I had more problems than anything. In fact turning it in on and off IS creating CO2 fluctuations because you are letting surface biofilm build up which in turn prevent proper gas exchange. Then you turn it on etc etc. My skimmer is on 24/7, 365 days a year and water surface is crystalline 24/7, 365 days a year. CO2 and O2 go in and out without any restriction at any given moment. That's what you want.

so will try to install inline CO2 diffuser.
Is that a 90cm tank? if so then maybe yes, else if smaller I don't think that's a necessity although it wouldn't hurt. IMO you need to fix your flow first and formost. Making sure that CO2 and water distribution is balanced throughout the tank. Also makes sure not to allow organics in the water column. Clean your filter / pre-filter if you have one. Remember most of your bacteria is in your tank not your filter. By cleaning I mean a good rinse to remove any organic build up.

CO2 turns on way before lights, it's calculated to roughly reach green before the lights. Regarding the skimmer you are right - it would be better to have it on constantly. It's indeed 90p, so will tackle flow first, then co2 and then filter maintenance as I was quite sloppy and Oase filters are quite underpowered to begin with. Thank you sincerely @Hanuman!

Back